PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So I got a tin of Night cap when I went to Boston a few weeks ago and was wondering what the nicotine content was. Is it higher or lower than that of a cigarette? I ask because my insurance through work requires me to get blood tested for nicotine presence... Don't want to smoke high nicotine blends that will stay with me for a while.. Aero's it is!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wait, are you saying you won't get insurance if you smoke, or that you'll have to pay more? How often do you have to get tested? Hmm...

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
I'm with Mike on this one.
It's horrible that insurance companies make you pay more for insurance if you smoke or even blood test you for a legal substance, but let's say you have diabetes or what not. You won't be paying more even though you're at a higher risk for something major happening then the occasional nicotine hit.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I ask because my insurance through work requires me to get blood tested for nicotine presence
A sign of what's to come for sure.
Nightcap has enough nic that it will show I'm fairly sure. Same goes for Early Morning Pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
A sign of what's to come for sure.
Not to get all Alex Jones about it, but you're exactly right. It will get to the point that insurance companies (so-called) will be taking very little actuarial risk at all, beyond the odd accident. Of course, no matter how invasive tests and whatnot become, you will still be given a "choice" (i.e., take it or leave it). My two cents.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Only a few days? From what I've read it can stay in your system for up to a month. But I'm assuming this is for heavy smokers. And if they label me a smoker I would be paying a higher premium and as a 25 year old who can barely afford to move out of his mothers basement (loooooser) I really don't want to pay any more than I have to. But you should read the pamphlet they gave us... I could get pegged with higher rates just because my BMI is too high... They pretty much want you to be an olympian athlete...
But on the other side of things what I read made very little mention of pipe smoking and concentrated mostly on cigarettes. Any Google searches I do do to find out about nicotine and pipes usually brings me back here... We're apparently a very knowledgeable lot.
edit: I should also probably mention this testing isn't for another three or so months... Just what I read had me a bit nervous/concerned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My tin of Nightcap was especially potent in nicotine just after I opened it. It always had plenty, but a freshly opened

tin made my head spin. Granted, this was my first experience with it, and I had it in a big bowl, and was sitting on

the porch at night immersed in my tobacco, so maybe I got carried away. Maybe save the high nic blends for

vacation while you're with this employer. Sounds pretty intrusive.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Chilling to think this is what we've come to as a society. Testing for legalized substances. Land of the free? Corporate culture takeover of our private lives. It wouldn't surprise me if we're being monitored even now on sites like this. Call me paranoid, but I've been thinking lately that this whole internet thing (forums, Facebook etc.), Altho originally developed to facilitate communication, is actually a monitoring trap. Every key stroke, your entire internet history appended to your social security number to micro-classify you for national security risk reasons and now used by the human resource departments of our corporate world to track and monitor their workers under the guise of insurance reasons. If your plugged into the grid you're being monitored. Be careful what you type. The internet is forever and is searchable and traceable.

Dec 24, 2012
Kashmir, I am watching you now. You are sitting in your den having a smoke and watching Sex In The City reruns. Sorry, I just had to tell on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.