PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I've been a smoker for about 15 years, but I just started smoking a pipe about 2 months ago. I bought a tin of Peterson's Irish flake when I first got my pipe, and I really enjoyed it. I bought a second tin a couple days ago and finally opened it today. I packed a bowl and started puffing, and then got really sick. I'm pretty sure it was too much nicotine but it seems strange that the first tin I had was fine, though I definitely got a nicotine kick from it but not enough to make me sick, but then the second tin made me so sick. Is it normal for tobacco's to vary from tin to tin? What can I do in the future to avoid overdoing it with the nicotine, and what can one do after realizing they have smoked too much?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Empty stomach vs. full stomach? That'll do it. Puffing faster the second time?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As jmatt's post suggests, the key variable is probably on your end rather than the tobacco's.

Someone at sometime (Yeh I know, stickler for research details) had posted something that linked nicotine to blood sugars, which even without the research makes sense to me and how my body reacts to it. When I feel like the spins are coming on, I can eat a small bite of chocolate and offset the onset of nicotine poisoning.
Except, I did notice that when I was handling last year's tobacco crop and rolling the twists, that I got the spins in a way that no amount of sugars would offset and was a very different feeling. My hypothesis (see... using big words now) is that the way we absorb the nicotine also affects the way it affects us. Cigarettes would make me hopped up, increased heart rate, anxiety... and cigars and pipes, just being absorbed through the small blood vessels of my mouth and sinuses would lower the heart rate and relax me. Absorbing it through your skin... bad mojo.
Now, some report opposite affects of the nicotine, with pipes and cigars giving them the same affects as cigarettes. Thus, I propose that those that don't fit my hypothesis are "broken." Ha ha, just kiddin'. Really I think it's just magic. Yep, conjuring, abracadabra, appeasement of the gods, that sort of thing. Makes sense, no?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I hear ya there Cosmic. Worked in tobacco as a teen, and that kind of nicotine exposure makes the flu look like Disney Land!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
When I was in the 6th grade, my buddy dropped a brand new can of Copenhagen in the classroom. It rolled a bit on the linoleum tile and then did the spinning penny drum roll thing until it came to a full stop.
Obviously tobacco was not allowed in the classroom; but we had a really cool teacher. She asked him to bring the can to the front of the room, she reminded him that tobacco was not allowed and he should be on the way to the principle's office for suspension, and then she dumped the whole can into a kleenex and wrapped it up.
She made a deal that if he could hold the kleenex wrapped Copenhagen under his armpit for 20 minutes; she would not send him to the office. We all thought he got off lucky.
He didn't make it....

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Although I've got a high tolerance to pipe tobacco and even went as far as to make a semi serious thread about it, here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/so-much-infamy-hype-and-hysteria-ill-explain
A few days ago, the wife asked me not to smoke for the day as she detests the smell in my 'stache and clothes and obviously wanted a seeing to later in the evening.. lol
I decided to take a big pinch of Sam Gawith No.4 twist that I had rubbed out and jarred since getting a new bunch of tins to try. I've chewed/dipped twist a bunch of times but this time.. Got up outa bed, had a sip of drink, tucked my pinch of rubbed twist up my gums and sat down. Got a nice buzz and slumped in my seat watching the telly dribble on.
Fast forward 45 mins? still passing the twist back and forth between cheeks, Wife went out, suddently felt cold, weak and faint.. nearly fainted had I not have paniced enough to pump my heart up. Still got terribly anxious and felt like I was gona drop!
I quickly ate some sweet stuff as my pulse was really really faint and slow,and within 30 minutes or so I was ok. Still terrified cuz I'm a chicken.
Don't think I'll rush to dip in the mornings again, atleast nto such a large ammount of strong stuff .. on an empty gut..
Can it kill us???
I know nicotine when highly refined can cause cardiac arrest through skin contact and be used as a fatal poison..( I saw it in a movie and did some research a while back, so I'm a pro' on poison now lol) but a normal guy who uses baccy taking too much, kill or no kill?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Unfortunately the only time I've ever gotten an upset stomach (read tossed my cookies) I was also partaking in a beverage or four or five. So I've never really stopped to wonder if it was the bourbon or the nicotine. Though I think, if my foggy memory serves me right, that each time I continued to smoke my pipe afterwards.
That armpit story is down right funny/redneck!

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I've also used the dark chocolate trick. It seemed to speed up recovery from the spins. But I guess I've developed a tolerance (which I think everyone does) and haven't had the spins in a couple years.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Irish Flake can vary in strength. Not greatly, and I make no negative comment on the blending which is excellent, but sometimes, there is a flake in there that will knock a grown man over next to one that is comparatively mild. The answer is to smoke it frequently so you can find those dangerous flakes and consume them before someone else is endangered.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I feel I must apologize to the fine people at Peterson, for maligning their product, what I mistook for nicotine poisoning has since evolved into a full-blown stomach bug, clearly unrelated to consumption of tobacco.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
She made a deal that if he could hold the kleenex wrapped Copenhagen under his armpit for 20 minutes; she would not send him to the office.
Today if she did that,she would be in JAIL for numerous charges and Fired for her conduct...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Someone at sometime (Yeh I know, stickler for research details) had posted something that linked nicotine to blood sugars
Maybe you were talking about that one.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-nicotine-effect#post-895270

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
Sugar metabolizes nicotine just incase you get actually nicotine sick guzzle a can of coke or other soft drink and sit down for ten minutes while it combats the nicotine rush. Used to be my go to if I smoked a strong cigar.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sorry to hear about the stomach bug. No fun. But there's Irish Flake for when you recover, so that's a plus anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBWcRqPesws

Status
Not open for further replies.