PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerkeyselect

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
Hi! I'm getting into the pipe smoking hobby, but I'm worried about thing. I don't want to become addicted to nicotine. Is there any way to prevent it? I only smoke 1 or 2 bowls a week.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I would not call 1 or 2 a week an addiction.
Having said that, all tobacco contains nicotine and nicotine is addictive...its just a plain simple fact.
I smoke 1-2 bowls a day regularly, am I addicted? Probably, but I went into this with my eyes wide open.

By asking the question, you may be showing that you may have an addictive personality... me too. I am addicted, but there are lots of things that we are addicted to. Addiction unto itself is not a bad thing. However, if this is a concern for you, then put your pipe down and walk away. That is straight talk truth. Me, I am happy as crap with my addiction. Others may not be addicted, nor happy with their addictions.

But, this is nicotine, the most addictive thing in the world, besides oxygen, and food... oh, and water... But, if you are concerned, maybe you should find another hobby.
But, I have a feeling you won't, so just be happy with it, accept it. And, don't start lying to yourself. Just roll with it, or find something else, like knitting, or fly fishing, or origami. :puffy:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Pipe smoking, in moderation, is far less expensive and far less addictive than fly fishing :)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes if you are that worried, then quit. I know that a addiction runs strong in my family. That's why I don't drink alcohol. Never have never will. I have a severe addiction to nicotine. (I smoke 3 to 4 bowls a day, plus cigarettes chew and the occasional snuff.) But the pipe is the safest way to enjoy it. :puffpipe:

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I was a heavy cigarette smoker for many years, and went through a really hellish time when I quit. With the pipe, I can choose whether to smoke or not, and don't feel compelled in the same way as I did with cigs. I still consider myself a nicotine addict, though my fix is generally satiated with nasal snuff. Even so, I can go several hours without a pinch (or a bowl) and couldn't do that with cigarettes.
How you personally will respond to it is anyone's guess. We're all different. Maybe avoiding making it habitual, such as not smoking those one or two bowls after watching a sports game on a Saturday, or linking it with any other activity, will help prevent it being part of or associated with, something else that you'd really struggle to be without.
If you find yourself craving a smoke beyond the frequency you're comfortable with, ditch it altogether before the barbs further lodged into your mind. Some weeks I'll smoke 6-10 bowls, and some weeks nothing, but I am continually mindfull of what's happening.
I didn't smoke today. I feel fine.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've been addicted to cigarettes on and off my entire life, but over time have been able to pick them up and put them down without feeling addicted (the pipe helps with this). I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes and probably somewhere around 15 bowls a week. Tobacco is no longer addictive to me. I can go days without smoking and have gone months and even years. I can pick it up or put it down whenever I want, but it hasn't always been this way. Nicotine addiction is a little different for everyone. I have used tobacco in all it's forms since I was 12 and find that the pipe is the least addictive delivery system, which is one of the reasons why it's the only one that's stuck. There's a thin line between simple enjoyment and addiction, and I only think you understand it by using and not using nicotine over a long period of time. It's a mental and physical thing that is predicated on personal preferences and personal decisions.
To answer your question, in short, your mind controls or doesn't control your addiction to nicotine. You can enjoy smoking a pipe more easily than any other form of tobacco without feeling addicted either mentally or physically. So if you're afraid of addiction, but you want to try tobacco, then the pipe is your choice.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm similar to Mothernature
Smoked ciggies for close on twenty years, around a pack a day for ten of those years. I quit cold turkey because I was sick of standing on the naughty step outside when I needed a nicotine fix, I really hated being addicted in the end, but didn't take me long to miss smoking so I started smoking pipes within months of quitting ciggies. I find with smoking a pipe I can stop at will without any problems, normally I don't smoke every day but on holiday I might smoke three or four bowls a day for two weeks and when I get home I'll just stop.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I was a 2-pack-a-day cigarette smoker.

In an attempt to quit, I tried vaping. Awful, awful mistake. Went back to my Lucky Strikes.

Since I begin pipe smoking, I never touched a cigarette again (actually, I tried and the taste was terrible).

I was addicted to cigarettes. I don't consider myself addicted to the pipe (but I do love it so much).

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
nicotine is addictive, I smoke a lot, but I can also go long stretches without having a pipe. Make it a choice to smoke, and not a habit your not thinking of before doing it. In fact, smoking a pipe over anything else helps that because of the time and prep it takes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Pipe smoking is the best way of enjoying Nicotine. Least risk, most flavor, most pleasure. If you fear addiction, stay away from anything fun, as all of it is addictive, including innocent stuff like exercise and reading occult fiction.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Smoking 1 or 2 bowls a week shouldn't get you addicted to nicotine. Wash out your mouth after each bowl and that will help a lot. The addiction you have to worry about is TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disease)and PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disease).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I just finished six weeks without cigarettes or a pipe as I recovered from a broken femur. Didn't miss them but, am enjoying having at 'em again. My only observation with regard to this thread is, if you have an addictive personality, watch yourself when taking up tobacco. Stay in control!

Jan 8, 2013
Keep it to a few bowls as you are, and I'll bet you'll be fine. Stay the hell away from cigarettes though. Because that's what will draw you into a full blown addiction quicker than anything. Cigarettes burn quickly, and the nicotine is delivered into your body in a different way than with a pipe. It's a fast absorbtion, and once your body gets used to it, it freaking loves it! Your body loves the way it feels and your mind begins to say, "gimme gimme gimme." After a while, your body gets used to it, and you don't feel the nicotine anymore. Your mind gets a bit greedy and wants you to have more. So you smoke a bit more than you did the day before, and so on and so forth. It gets to the point that you never feel the nicotine anymore and your mind becomes greedier and greedier. You can't please it. Half a pack becomes a pack. A pack becomes a pack and a half. And before you know it that becomes two packs. You don't feel the nicotine, but your a freaking axe murderer until you've had your first cigarette of the morning. You don't feel satisfied if you don't have one after a meal. You can't sleep if you don't smoke one just before you go to sleep. You see the addiction is also joined by a routine, and a habit. Anytime you get angry, you have to have one to calm down. You have to have one with your drink. You have to have one every single time you step outside. The habits and routine make it even that much harder to cure your addiction if you decide you want to quit. To put it simply.... if a pipe is an angel to calm you down and bring you peace, then a cigarette is Lucifer himself.
Stay the F away.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Stay the hell away from cigarettes though. Because that's what will draw you into a full blown addiction quicker than anything.

As a former - and still occasional- cigarette smoker, I have to agree.

Although.... I love nicotine. Sweet, sweet nicotine.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoke 5-7 bowls weekly, on average, occasionally more. I've quit on several occasions for a week and up to one month. I don't feel that I'm addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.