PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I gave up alcohol for a short while. Mostly to lose weight and recalibrate my tolerance. I figured when I do decide to have a dram it might as well be a decent one. My reward has been to buy a single malt for each month I haven't drank. So far I have rewarded myself with Glinlivit 12, Glenlivit Founders Reserve, Glenorange, and Laphroaig 10.
I have some ideas but I thought it would be interesting to see what others choices would be to get next. Price range is under $60, single Malt Scotch. I'm due for one more this month and a special reward for December that could go a little over $60. So two bottles to choose, GO!

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Talisker 10. The 18 is amazing, but a little pricier. The 10 is darn tasty.

for something a little sweeter, Cardhu.

I haven't had any scotch for years, but I used to enjoy these quite a bit. Okay, a lot.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Made in San Francisco, St. George Single Malt Whiskey. Excellent drink; I just wish we could get it here in Pa.
http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/st-george-single-malt-whiskey/

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Balvenie "DoubleWood" 12 is one of the best malts out there, period, and in around that price point.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I'd second Ardbeg 10 or possibly go with Highland Park 12. But I do have a weakness for Islay whisky. Depending on where you live I've heard of mythical sales of Lagavulin 16 for less than $60 in states where Costco can stock it. I have to buy Lagavulin online to get it for less than $80 but it's still worth every penny.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Agree with all of the above sugggestions. Also:
Laphroaig 10 YO Cask Strength, Batch 007, or Batch 008 (if you can find it)
US Single Malts (if available in your area):

Colkegan (Sante Fe, NM)

Deerhammer (Buena Vista, CO - locals pronounce it "B'yoona Vista")
Blended Scotch:

Monkey Shoulder (blend of Glenfiddich, Balvenie, & Kininvie) - my favorite inexpensive blended Scotch

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Great choices gents.
My top choices are Balvinie double wood, and Ardbeg. Now I'm torn because Lagavulin 16 is $63 US and Talisker is calling my name! I really like Islay malts in the cool weather. So many nice whiskys to choose from. I did check into Monkey Shoulder and that looks very promising for $25. St George spirits is just north of me but I've never tried any of their spirits. Looks interesting also. im specifically looking at Scottish whisky though.
We just had a "total wine and more" store open near where I work and they have quite the selection. Also the best prices in my area! They really market their own whisky with their own private labels. Some get decent reviews. Some not so much. So I'm sticking to tried and true brands I know are legit. For now at least. I will dabble in those after I give Monkey Shoulder a go.
Thanks for the input

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I personally fancy Jura, Dalmore, or Lagavulin. They are a tad pricier, but if you only drink every so often it is definitely worth it.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
For an Islay I'd go for Ardbeg 10, one of the very best there is. Especially in the last couple of years they've had an upswing in quality compared to '13-'14. If you're looking for something without smoke I like Aberlour. Good quality for lesser price. The special edition Aberlour A'bunadh is a real gem and a serious CS hitter but that might be above your stated price limit. Good luck! Do let us know what you landed on

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The last single malt I bought was a few years ago, as a birthday gift for a friend in Queens, at a shop in Queens. 'Don't remember the brand, but it was aged maybe 12 years. I didn't get to sample it until we'd been out to eat and gotten home. It was $80, and was silky smooth and worth every dime.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I spent some time browsing the scotch isle this morning and ended up bringing home Ardbeg 10 year old. Mostly because I needed to add a nice smoked peaty whisky to my humble collection. I've started a wish list with some of the suggestions made here.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I received a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon in the mail this weekend! So today I stopped by the store and after browsing a bit I saw the last bottle of Oban 14 for $60. I shelled out $50 and that lonely bottle came home with me.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Aberlour A'bunadh--aged in sherry casks

Double wood

Hedonism--from Compass Box, a blended scotch, but uniquely as good as, and better than many single malts.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am thoroughly convinced that the very best whisky generally available is Lagavulin 16. This presupposes that you like peaty, salty Islays, of course. (One wag said sipping Lag16 was like "drinking a burned church.) But you mention Laphroaig so you supposedly do not object to some smoke.
If Lag16 is too much in the vein, Ardbeg (their 10 is their standard) is a bit less peat forward while still having the taste of smoke and sea you want in an Islay. Tallisker (not an Islay, as it is distilled on Skye) is clearly a close cousin and a bit less peaty even than Arbeg -- while still holding interest for those of us who want that sort of thing.
I am not typically a fellow to drink Highland singles. But I have a special love for Oban. It is a Highland, but a West a Highland, and distilled next to the sea, so perhaps that is why.
So, in descending order of peaty goodness:
Lagavulin 16

Arbeg 10

Tallisker 10

Oban 14
You will likely find that is a descending order of price point, too, from the Lag at ~$100 to the Oban at ~$50.

Status
Not open for further replies.