PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Lagavulin 16 is $60.99 where I'm located. Talisker 10 year old is $55.99. I have 4 in opened bottles at the moment. I've been drinking blends to keep me from opening the single malts. I'm starting a new job on Friday so I think that gives me an excuse to buy something new for December. I have a 9 bottle wine rack that I store them in. Who knows if my willpower holds I would like to have it filled with quality bottles. Seems like a good goal to aim for. I've been eyeing Caol Ila 12 year that's $60.
Has anyone tried Bruichladdich the classic laddie? I have another coupon for $10 off $50 at this store. So with that coupon it would cost me $44.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Highland Park 12 in the under $60 bracket.

Over - depends on how much over. Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16 have both been mentioned. Oban 14 is another good one.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Glenrothes Select Reserve
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2666/glenrothes-select-reserve
My favorite

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
+1 on Lagavulin if you want peat. Glenmorangie is great, and if you like it, Glenkinchie is in the same vein. Some of their editions are matured in sherry or port casks, making them rounder and fruityer, if you want a contrast to Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Jul 12, 2011
One of my favs has been The Macallan 12 Year Old Fine Oak, price is around $68/bottle.
Color: Pale Straw

ABV: 40%

Nose: Complex with a hint of fruit and heather honey

Palate: Soft and malty balanced with oak and fruit

Finish: Lingering with hints of oak and fruit

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Laphroaig 10 is my go to as well. I went through a phase of trying a ton of different Islay single malts but eventually realized nothing could beat Laphroaig for the money to my tastes.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Laphroaig 10 is on my list. I was gifted a bottle of the Quarter Cask for my bday and wanted to compare. I’ve been getting into Malts, but up here in Canada it’s pricey. Not 50$ a tin pricey but it’s up there!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Well the glenmorange, and Glenlivit's were consumed during December and have been replaced.
Now my collection consists of,
Laphroaig 10

Laphroaig Quarter cask

Lagavulin 16

Ardbeg 10

Balvenie double wood. ( 3 bottles because I like it and price to quality ratio)

Oban 14, minus a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve drink.
I practice a dry January every year to balance out indulgent December. So the collection is safe until February.
I want a bottle of Oban 18 year but it's out of stock until June. All good things come to those who wait I suppose? I would just hold onto it for a very special occasion anyway.
I've got a coupon for $10 off, if you spend at least $40 that expires at the end of the month. I have the peaty smoke malts well represented in my collection. I'm now meditating on my next acquisition. 2018 is starting off rather well I would say.
Happy New Years to all of you! Hope you all have a great 2018!
Buster

P

pipebuddy

I'll second the Balvenie 12 Years. I used to love all the Balvenie offerings. They're fantastic. :worship: :puffpipe:

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Lagavulin 16 is now pushing $90 almost everywhere, but it's great. I don't think anyone mentioned Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 year old. 86 proof, no color, no chill filtering, under $60.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scotch irritates my plumbing, so mostly I follow my adopted region and enjoy bourbon now and then. However, one time visiting friends in Queens NYC, we bought our friend a single malt at the local liquor store. It was a birthday, so we spent eighty bucks. Alas, I didn't write down the name of it ... best damned Scotch I've ever tasted, beautiful buzz, and no hangover to speak of. He shared it with the group, but there was quite a bar, so I finished off the evening with the Scotch, and it was lovely.

...oh no, I posted about the same eight months ago! Gotta read the whole thread and can the recitations. At least I quoted the same price. Mumble, mumble.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
For under $60 you can't go wrong with Glenfiddich 12 Year. $49 here in PA. Even the outstanding Glenfiddich 14 Year Bourbon Barrel is only $55, and the 15 Year Solera Reserve just a bit over at $63.
I also recommend:
The Macallan Double Cask 12 Year, also less than $60.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask around $55 and/or Triple Wood at about $65.

Status
Not open for further replies.