PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
Congrats. What a fascinating pipe. I've never seen anything quite like that. I, too, purchased a new pipe today from smokingpipes.com. I've been keeping a spot open on a rack for a 7th Ashton, and today I found it. A poker, a shape that I did not have, but have always liked. This is a pebble grain LX from 2003, Billy Taylor era. 11327

Jack T

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2019
had my virgin smoke in it. Perfect. It would be sad if it was my only pipe. But for running out to the store or on break it's amazing. It smokes really awesomely. Makes me curious if Tsuges are always that great.
I've been wondering about Tsuge pipes, as well. I've spent many years in Japan and take great pleasure in Japanese craftsmanship when it comes to Han-made objects. I have a leather briefcase that was made in a shop in Tokyo that is spectacular. There is a great commitment to craftsmanship in Japan when it comes to these types of special items. I'd expect the same of Tsuge and would be curious to hear others' experiences. And I will need to check them out when I'm in Japan next summer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm often intrigued by the nomenclature on pipe shapes. Blowfish done in briar are usually quite wide and rounded in the bowl, so from that width, Tsuge decided to call this cylinder perpendicular to the stem a blowfish. One of the posts refers to it as a mallet, which it also resembles. Pipe shapes often have the aspect of a psychological ink blot test, open to interpretation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm often intrigued by the nomenclature on pipe shapes. Blowfish done in briar are usually quite wide and rounded in the bowl, so from that width, Tsuge decided to call this cylinder perpendicular to the stem a blowfish. One of the posts refers to it as a mallet, which it also resembles. Pipe shapes often have the aspect of a psychological ink blot test, open to interpretation.
yeah it's not what I'd call a blowfish and looks like a can or drum to me. Beautiful little thing though.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I've been wondering about Tsuge pipes, as well. I've spent many years in Japan and take great pleasure in Japanese craftsmanship when it comes to Han-made objects. I have a leather briefcase that was made in a shop in Tokyo that is spectacular. There is a great commitment to craftsmanship in Japan when it comes to these types of special items. I'd expect the same of Tsuge and would be curious to hear others' experiences. And I will need to check them out when I'm in Japan next summer.
Yes the craftsmanship is really great. It amazes me how perfectly round the bowl is. I really like the symmetry. I think the next moment I have something bigger to celebrate I am going to buy one of their other pipes.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Oh yeah... I wouldn't have gotten this pipe without this forum. I always thought tiny pocket pipes would smoke terribly and that such a short smoke wouldn't be satisfying. But in truth they're the panatellas of the pipe world. Short but kind of perfect.

I was thinking of selling mine but now this thread has me thinking I'll keep it.

Some good points to ponder.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was thinking of selling mine but now this thread has me thinking I'll keep it.

Some good points to ponder.
I am super happy with it. It would suck if it was the one and only pipe. But it provides a great and unique smoking experience. Also great if you have a local that lets you sample a bowl of their tobaccos. Also it's really cute when my cat sniffs the stem, it looks like a Canadian with him. :)

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.