Jun 6, 2017
Here
I was 28 once...
Welcome!
jay-roger.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you use woodsroad's custom search in the stickies and search with "mild pipe tobacco" you get a lot of hits.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Welcome on board! We were all new to pipes at one time and you will find most pipe smokers very willing to give you advice. What works for one may not work for another so it is good to experiment! Most of us have a lack of pipe shops in our area so it is that much more important to support your local B&M! get to know the owners. A lot of shops have turned their focus to cigars in the last 20 years, so some don't know that much about pipes, anymore. Good luck and welcome to the club!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OK, nite', you're not so badly located for tobacco pipe culture. In Raleigh, there is a good independent pipe shop on Hillsborough Street between the NCSU campus and downtown, Pipes by George. George is a real pro and can answer questions and give accurate info, and he has a good selection of pipes, tobacco, and cigars. Each April, there's a good pipe show at the Fairgrounds at Hillsborough Street and Blue Ridge Road, well worth attending. More in your direction, I believe there is still a J&R Outlet off I-95 near Smithfield which sells an array of pipe tobacco, a zillion cigars, and some pipes, although you have to have a staff person help you see those from the glass case. I realize, Raleigh is a trip for you, but you may get over here for other reasons and could combine the pipe shopping with that. I will admit, I have noticed a lack of pipes at yard sales, flea markets, and antique shops, etc., as compared to similar places in up-state New York and other regions. I guess cigarettes ruled in N.C. and pipes are not so generally for sale. Online is good, especially our sponsors, which are dependable and want to see you back.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I get up to Raleigh usually once a month, so I'll be sure to go around to Pipes by George. I didn't know about the pipe show at the Fairgrounds, I'll have to see about attending it next year. Yeah NC seems to be a cigarette and cigar state mostly, pipes are not that popular at the moment. Hopefully that changes as time goes on.

Jun 4, 2018
Welcome to the bunch. Just joined myself and saw you are having fun expanding the tobacco selection. I was going to my local BM paying $4/oz till I found pipesandcigars.com. I've gotten into buying bulk tobaccos and putting them into canning jars. You can buy an oz at a time, or go straight for a pound. It's inexpensive and between Sutliff, Lane, and Cornell & Diehll, they have so many flavors to choose from, almost any smoker can find a flavor. And the sales are great to wait for to. I hit it when Sutliff bulk was 15-20% off and got like 8 different flavors at 2 ounces for most a couple at 4 ounces, and with shipping, only paid about $40. BMs are great to get you started, but online helps the more budget oriented stock up.

Also, I'm only 5 years older than you, so you aren't that young. I just imagine the members of the group who are retired get first jump on these forums, and since they have put in their dues already, they have every right.

Status
Not open for further replies.