PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Hi all! Hope you can help.
My uncle died a few years ago and I helped to clear his house. Amongst his possessions was a beautiful pipe that I had no idea what to do with so I popped it in a box and forgot about it. I'm now moving house and have come across the pipe again - this time I have noticed some markings on it - it says 'L. Fiolet. St Omer. Depose'. I've had a look online and can't see any images that match, however, I did see a link to this site and some lovely folk giving a lady some advice on a different Fiolet pipe in the shape of a skull. Can anyone help please? This pipe looks like it has been smoked and has carved and painted flowers around the bowl. The bowl is in the shape of a cup with a handle and has a long, slim clay stem.
Thanks in advance!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks to be an old French clay pipe.
L. Fiolet is the brand and name of a French clay pipe artisan at the 19th century Fiolet factory, in Saint-Omer, Pas-de-Calais. In 1860 the company was still producing over ten million pipes a year.
From pipedia.
Could you post some images? We love pipe pics, especially old ones!

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Wow thanks for the quick reply! I was just fathoming how to upload pictures. I'll try to add them now.
library

Does that work?

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
I think I read the same link as you from pipepedia and couldn't find much else. I would love to know if I could clean it?

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Thanks! I think if it's worth any actual money, I'd be morally obliged to sell it and split the proceeds with the other beneficiaries. If not, then I'd like to display it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If displaying, I would just wipe it down with a soft damp cloth like a wet wipe, or unscented diaper wipe. Traditional clay pipe cleaning involves fire, or lots of heat that would likely damage the piece. If selling, your best bet would be to contact Steve Fallon at pipestud.com for possible pricing information.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Oh I see! That's really helpful, thanks! It makes sense that heat would be used to clean it but the lovely bits of enamelled looking flowers would be damaged by that process. Thanks so much for taking the time to help. :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Looks to me more chamber pot than cup!
I have to say, that's the first (non modern) clay pipe I've seen that is painted. As Duane says, stick to a damp cloth with no detergent lest you compromise the detailed paint. Also be aware, clay pipes are very fragile so handle it carefully.
Regards,
Jay.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Ah of course you're right! It does indeed look like a chamber pot!
Thanks for the cleaning and care advice too!

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
Hi there! The raised flowers that are coloured are very shiny so I'd guess glazed - but I am the opposite of an expert. I will try and get a better picture of them - my phone is not great at close ups. As for it being smoked, there's a faint but definite smell of pipe tobacco in the bowl.my husband can't smell it but I can.

helen253

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
IMG_5070_zpsee7hwsuo.jpg~original

IMG_5071_zpsui6bd9ng.jpg~original

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/helenmgb/IMG_5072_zpsedhwqoiw.jpg~original
I hope these are a little clearer, I think they may be glazed but they're done in a daubing fashion with little attention given to staying 'between the lines'. No idea if that is typical or unusual.
Helen

Status
Not open for further replies.