PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Shaun

Lurker
Dec 16, 2022
Hey bro, if you want to join the buy in is 3 pouches of st Bruno. I can send you my postal address. 😂

I wonder if you are the old fellah @charf kids saw in Thames!

Nearby, There’s a few of us in Tauranga and a couple more in hamilton.

Nau Mai haere mai to the forums
No not I spotted in Thames . I travel every couple of weeks to Te Puke for a few days at a time . Like to meet up ….swap notes.
Happy pipeing.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
No not I spotted in Thames . I travel every couple of weeks to Te Puke for a few days at a time . Like to meet up ….swap notes.
Happy pipeing.
Cool. I know te puke well as that’s my wife’s home town. We are based near katikati so literally on your way. Send me a message when you’re heading over next in the new year ✌🏼

Shaun

Lurker
Dec 16, 2022
Cool. I know te puke well as that’s my wife’s home town. We are based near katikati so literally on your way. Send me a message when you’re heading over next in the new year ✌🏼
My home town too .
Will definitely make contact. 👍

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Etchyphenton

Lurker
Apr 20, 2023
Taupō, New Zealand
Kia ora. Came across your forum looking for info on tobacco pipes in NZ and you guys seem to be the experts!

My father-in-law has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and only given a couple of weeks to live. His four kids are working their asses off to keep him at home on his lifestyle block for his final days. My husband has found release in taking up smoking during this time. His dad was a professional wood-turner and has an over-abundance of timber at his place. I thought it would be awesome if I could find someone who could make custom pipes for the four kids to enjoy in his honour after he is gone. What are the chances there’s anyone in NZ who makes wooden pipes?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: pruss

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hello there from Dannevirke.
I’m so sorry to hear the sad news that has been given to your father in law and to all of you. Take some comfort in knowing that he is at home and that you are all there with him. Does the father in law smoke pipes, is that why you would want to have some made? I don’t know of any NZ makers, I’ll get in touch with a friend that would definately know and he will be along here shortly.

Kind regards,
Adam.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Kia ora. Came across your forum looking for info on tobacco pipes in NZ and you guys seem to be the experts!

My father-in-law has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and only given a couple of weeks to live. His four kids are working their asses off to keep him at home on his lifestyle block for his final days. My husband has found release in taking up smoking during this time. His dad was a professional wood-turner and has an over-abundance of timber at his place. I thought it would be awesome if I could find someone who could make custom pipes for the four kids to enjoy in his honour after he is gone. What are the chances there’s anyone in NZ who makes wooden pipes?

Thanks for your help.
Hello, sorry to hear about your family times...

Most woods are not really suited to turning into pipes, remember you are starting a fire inside a piece of wood and then breathing in the fumes... traditionally briar is the go to wood (which is not typically in the wood turners pile) and otherwise pear and cherry and maple wood are used, and a small handful of others...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown

Thanks for your help.
Mortonbriar’s comments are spot on with regards to needing the right wood to turn for pipe making.

I also don’t know of any pipe makers in Aotearoa. But I do know a wonderful pipe maker who is in Melbourne. I am sure he would make commission pieces if you’re happy working with his time frame and pricing. You could even talk to him about incorporating specific pieces of your FIL’s wood or other material into the pipe as adornments if he’s amenable.

Have a look at www.bullfrogpipes.com.au

Best wishes,

— Pat

Reactions: Dita
There's an old saying "United we Stand, Divided we fall". New Zealand Briar Smokers are faced with the challenge of there being only a few of us spread out over a Great Distance. This can make the sharing of information rather hard.
There's definitely issues that need to be dealt with such as the cost of buying tobacco and also legislation. We also need a social and support network for our fellow briar smokers. It would be interesting for fellow pipe smokers living in NZ, to join together as it would help with the spread of information.
As a group we might be able to achieve better outcomes for our members then if we were to do things individually.
I would be interested in hearing from fellow Brothers and sisters of the Briar in New Zealand who are interested in forming a Lodge of Pipe Smokers.
Hi drjohn,
I realise this post is 10 years old, but having just moved to NZ, and searching for pipe groups in NZ, your post came up, and I was wondering if you can introduce me to an online NZ pipe smoking community - because it's looking fearfully stark at the moment...
Very best,
Dita

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi drjohn,
I realise this post is 10 years old, but having just moved to NZ, and searching for pipe groups in NZ, your post came up, and I was wondering if you can introduce me to an online NZ pipe smoking community - because it's looking fearfully stark at the moment...
Very best,
Dita
Hi Dita,

Welcome from Sydney, Oz

There are a more than a few members kicking around in Kiwiland
I suggest you send @Ahi Ka, @mortonbriar and @DeerparkDays a PM for starters

Shaun

Lurker
Dec 16, 2022
Kia ora @Dita and welcome aboard. I’m not aware of any online pipe groups here. No reason you couldn’t start one as I’m sure a few people would be interested. I know @BriarLinedMeer wanted to start a signal chat group for kiwi smokers. Maybe give him a message. 🤙🏼
Ahi Ka .. could you give me a ring please when you get a chance.
Like to discuss growth rate and condition of my plants .
Kind regards……Shaun.

Reactions: pruss and Ahi Ka