PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Just a reminder that the 2019 New York Pipe Show is next Saturday. I’d encourage everyone in the area to attend! 8O
March 9, 2019: New York Pipe Show, The Sam Barnett Memorial & 27th ANNUAL PIPE CONVENTION

SHOW OPEN TO THE PUBLIC @ 10:00 AM (Exhibitor Set up @ 8 AM)

LOCATION: WYNDHAM NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HOTEL 1-973-824-4000

Parking is Free – get stamp or ticket at show or front desk

SPECIAL Hotel ROOM RATES Ask the front desk about THE PIPE SHOW DISCOUNT

Rate Per Table: RETAILERS $85.00 (a) Paypal $89.00 COLLECTORS $70.00 (b) Paypal $74.00

CHECKS ONLY PAYABLE TO: RICHARD ESSERMAN, 238 AYCRIGG AVE, UNIT D, PASSAIC, NJ 07055

EMAIL: bigpipeguy@gmail.com or resserman@unicefusa.org

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It pains me to miss this one again, I always have a grand time and typically find a treasure or two. But, I can't spend the night and the four hour drive is just too much to do in one day. Have fun, take a lot of pictures!
Someone usually asks if you can smoke at the show - No. You can smoke outside the hotel in a covered area, weather permitting.
Nearly everyone ends up at the nearby JR Cigars in Whippany NJ in the afternoon and evening. That event is as much fun as the show. The new lounge at JR is fabulous and they also have a full restaurant/bar and of course you can smoke everywhere. (very little pipe stuff there, so stock up at the show).

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ah, Simian is back from his Southern Exile!
I will most likely miss this one, since I'll be out of town for a conference until Saturday morning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rich doesn't list participants typically, but here's the link on the NYC pipe club page. (you could say the Usual Suspects...)

http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/content.aspx?page_id=5&club_id=415823&item_id=43533&

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Dan. How do I join. I used to hangout at the Hoover Hospital over on 83rd & 1st years ago and marvel at the early 20s vacuum cleaners that the guy restored. I had to stop since it got in the way on my train spotting and cheese label collecting club nights!

Jan 27, 2020
Are prices for pipes at these events generally more expensive than what one finds from the large online retailers?

Are prices for pipes at these events generally more expensive than what one finds from the large online retailers?
I can't speak to this one particular show, but having gone to four of the big pipe shows, vendors tend to have more overhead to cover, because of hotel rooms and travel, so making as much as they can is their priority. But, if a vendor is doing well, you might be able to make a deal. It just depends on your haggling skills and the luck of the situation. But, don't expect deep discounts. The fun in these events is getting to see and fondle pipes that you may have only ever seen in pictures.

It was at a pipe show that I realized how big Randy Wiley makes his pipes, and seeing tables full of the same Dunhills all lined up really has an impact on the viewer. But, most of all the camaraderie and getting to try so many different blends from all of the other visitors is what makes these shows the best thing ever.

We may not be getting to have shows like these for very much longer into the future, so you'd better get in while there are shows to be getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.