PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm in Birmingham, AL with state controlled liquor so our choices are VERY limited. I'm going to buy a nice bottle of something no more than $200. Thoughts opinions?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'll say goodby with an Irish (Jameson) and hello with a champagne. Then, about 2230 I'll nod off, awaken when my neighbors start blowing up their money, take the nervous dog, climb into the truck and go some place quiet for a couple of hours.
I've always found Jameson to be a solid glass for any occasion.
Edit: While it's nothing really special, it's not let me down. Ever!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's difficult to pick when you have nothing in particular in mind. I just want something exceptional. I love port, but would rather have something that can last. I'm not a serious drinker and port, once opened, doesn't last.

I've not had JW Blue, but have heard mixed reviews. Is it worth the cash? I understand that it's relative, but I'm asking your opinion. Anybody ever tried Glenmorangie 18?

If it helps, my favorite scotch is Macallan 18.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I'm going with Zaya rum. I love Bookers if you are looking for a good bourbon. It's about 50 or 60 bucks. For Scotch Talisker which is about 70 or 80.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Balvenie Portwood 21 year is delicious. I can also recommend the Macallan 18.
Excellent bourbons are much less expensive.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I've always found Jameson to be a solid glass for any occasion.
Edit: While it's nothing really special, it's not let me down. Ever!
I agree with Warren. Jameson's is good stuff, I've drank a lot of it with my 80 year old Irish neighbor. Spend 20 or 30 bucks on a bottle of Jameson's and spend the remainder on a new pipe and some tobacco.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
My choice tonight is Hendricks Gin and Tonic w/ a slice of cucumber.
Aaahhh…Hendricks. "It's not for everyone." Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful stuff! Good call, Jason!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
If you're a Mac 18 guy, just go find the best bottle of Mac you can find.
I'm an Islay guy myself and have had virtually all of the Islay Scotches regularly available in the states. Sometimes a bottle of Laphroig 10 or Ardbeg 10 is still my favorite for the sheer smokiness of it.
(In fact, we're getting a Scottish Terrier in a couple of months and naming it Ardbeg. Yes - I'm that big of a fan. lol)

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
If Macallan 18 is your favourite, I might suggest Aberlour 18; another nice Speyside malt.
This evening, I will be enjoying some Glenfarclas 25; great Christmas cake taste with a nice taste of molasses.
Happy New Years to one and all and enjoy whatever dram with which you decide to toast in the New Year.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've not had JW Blue, but have heard mixed reviews. Is it worth the cash?
From what I've heard, NO. There's this great scotch I tried recently called Big Peat

s9599.jpg

It's super smokey, has that great bar-b-que taste with some briney taste too. It just has some of the worst bottle art for scotch ever, it looks like something you shouldn't take seriously, but damn, it's really really good.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
It just has some of the worst bottle art for scotch ever, it looks like something you shouldn't take seriously, but damn, it's really really good.
Actually, I'm kinda digging that bottle art. And I like the name--Big Peat.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
See, if it were me, I'd get a bottle of Laphroaig 18... Heavenly! But then, I'm a fan of the heavily peated Scotches, along with Lapsang Souchon tea and Latakia-heavy blends like Black House. :lol:
If you like port. the Balvenie Port Wood 21 is about the same price as the MacAllen 18.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Another vote for Laphroaig, its like salty, smoky, medicine!

Probably doesn't sell it that well, but I love it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think if you go about $80 for a single malt scotch, and the prices aren't corrupted by the state

alcohol sellers (which in some states sadly they are) you'll be a happy camper. Neither my wife

nor I can do a lot of drinking, so we've settled for some recommended sparkling Spanish wine.

Not our "usual" snazzy Champagne, but not so bad either.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I got a bottle of triple bock from Blue Mountain Brewing in Nelson Co, VA for Christmas, so I've already consumed it tonight. If I have anything else, it will probably be some Sugarlands Shine Apple Pie. It is delightful and tastes like carmel apple. Proper whiskey would be preferable, but I'm half an hour from a liquor store and my extra money has gone to smoking instead of drinking lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.