PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I bought a new Scott Cao violin for my wife to play in her bluegrass band. She also plays guitar, mandolin and tenor mandolin. (I play bass) This gives me some bargaining power for a new PAD and TAD binge! It's only fair, right?
violin_zpsxdqk9sks.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Beautiful instruments Tuo, I have my Uncles violin, I don't play , he had Palomino horse hairs on end and when he played a lively one the hairs would swing wildly about. As a child it was the most magnificent thing. to see. He would come to our house, he lived down the road and play on our front porch, pretty soon the porch was full of neighbors, Mom said the reason he played at my fathers house was because he was too tight to serve them coffee. Dad owned a pool hall then and sometimes served them stronger drinks, although my Uncle sometimes brought over his Cherry Bounce, a good time was had by all. He had no children, he died first and when his wife passed her sister gave me the violin. All my children learned to play, they don't play now which is a shame, I play the Acordion and it welds me to my Cajun roots, my Grandfather played the Accordion also. Music is so important in life, thank you for this thread and reminding me of my Uncle.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Beautiful instrument, and you are certainly entitled to some pipes and tobacco! Quid pro quo! Your wife must be so happy.
My daughter plays violin, my oldest son the cello, my second son the Bass, and my youngest son the cello. Two oldest boys also play guitar and bass. My dad played oboe and clarinet in the NH Philharmonic for many years, and still plays in a local pops band. My Grammy played piano and my Grampa the organ. My wife sings like an angel, I play guitar and am trying to learn clawhammer banjo. Music runs thick in our veins.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Laissez le bon ton roulez Brad. I'm an honorary Cajun. Most of my family abides in Vinton, Sulphur, and Lake Charles.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
That is a very nice violin. Your wife is very gifted, and so are you. I play around with a banjo, and if I practiced 12 hours a day, I would be mediocre at best. Some have it, and some want to have it. Congratulations!!! :puffy:

A very nice fiddle indeed!! Good on you. Mine is about 120 years old and has trekked across the Appalachians a few times with kin. I keep trying out the new ones at the music store, but since I just pick around with friends occasionally, I can't justify the price. And, I wouldn't use it nearly as much a new pipe, ha ha.

Way to go! Music is what makes us human.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
God bless fiddles! My dad inherited his father's violin and therefore I was recruited to take lessons. My strong preference was for a horn, and I could do some pretty good (to my imagination) riffs on a bugle while safely in the basement. But I manfully twiddled on the fiddle for several years playing way back in the second section of the student orchestra, until I had a nasty mishap doing an acrobatic stunt in the backyard with my buddies and broke my right wrist. I was launched into the air off a teeter board, and that's where our collective plan ended. I didn't need to worry about crying in front of my friends; the pain was too great. I went around with my arm in a bandana sling for several days at school until my folks (maybe at the behest of the school?) marched me off to Dr. Wosniak in the orthopedic clinic at one of the local hospitals who clicked my wrist back in place (short jolt of intense pain) and bonded it up in plaster. I used that as a graceful exit to my career as a violinist. My wife bought me a cornet two years ago, and though I am having trouble mastering the scales on the valves, I keep hearing Dizzy Gillespie in my mind -- in my ears, not so much. Those are some beautiful fiddles, truly, and definitely a bargaining point for purchasing a significant pipe.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is indeed a beautiful instrument and I would agree that it cuts you some slack for some good PAD/TAD!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.