PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
The design isn't knew, but the one i just bought from sp.com (here) is new to my collection. The flame is the perfect size, not to hot and isn't scorching anything. And the fact that there's a tamp already inside the thing makes it the best for when I leave the house. I used to carry two match boxes and a tamp, now just this guy. And I don't run out of/lose matches and tamps at home as much. Plus, it's only 20 bucks and looks B.A.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
You should do a review for it on sp.com's website. That is a great looking lighter by the way.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Wow, that is pretty inexpensive considering most lighters that style go for around $100. I'm interested to see what you think of it after using it for a month or more.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a Vertigo lighter and it works good for the most part. My only issue with it is that I lost the end piece of the compression spring on the flint mechanism, so the flint mechanism is a little loose. As such, I have to actually push in the end of the screw on the mechanism when I light it in order to get it to light. No fault of the company, it was my own dumbass fault for losing the piece. It gets pretty regular use and I agree that the flame is a great size and works good for getting an even ember going, especially towards the bottom of my larger sized bowls.

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Wow only $20 bucks! I love smokingpipes.com. That's one heck of a nice looking lighter for that price.

Jul 15, 2011
Theyre made by Lotus, so its a quality product and it comes with a full year warranty. The only other downside is that with regular use, the nozzle that directs the flame can get turned around and you have to take a pair of pliers and twist the nozzle so that the flame points in the right direction.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I picked one up as well and it arrived today. Mine is silver though. I like the fact is doesn't put out a gigantic mega flame when turned all the way up. For the price, if I get a year of use out of it, still beats buying disposables and looks waaaaay cooler.

May 31, 2012
"My only issue with it is that I lost the end piece of the compression spring on the flint mechanism, so the flint mechanism is a little loose."
You are not alone Pipe Novelist. I too had the same "dumbass" experience!

The solution I came up with was to add a "little ball" from a ballchain keyring (or necklace), behind the actual flint, they fit perfectly & add the required volume to compress the spring:

he59_stainless_steel_ball_chain_necklace_3.jpg

The Vertigo lighter is indeed a definite value for the money. My only complaint, true with most all inexpensive lighters, is the lack of good knurling, a pet-peeve of mine which prompted me to file a more aggressive bite on the spark-wheel as well as grinding a bit off the surround edges around it to provide a greater protuberance which ,for me, adds grip & ensures a "sure spark".

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
That type of lighter is usually quite expensive? How is the overall quality of the materials? anything loose? Thats a nice lighter for 20 bucks

May 31, 2012
"That type of lighter is usually quite expensive?"

Yep, usually so. A Dunhill lighter in that style, called the Unique, runs about $300-$400!!!

First introduced in 1924, I think it was the origin of this "lift arm" style.

1878.jpg

The IM Corona "Old Boy" is pretty much the same design...

images

...and built with high quality standards like this bulletproof fuel tank:

Corona%20Tank%202.jpg

Since the Old Boy lighters are quite pricey, anywhere from $80 & up, some folks call the inexpensive "clones" in this style "Poor Boy" !!!
But, all in all, the Vertigo does a fine job of handling the task, the only detractions I'd list are: shiny chrome surface a bit too slippery, spark-wheel isn't grippy enough & fueltank capacity too small...otherwise, it's very good & most definitely a worthy investment for such a great price.
There are a few other economic alternatives in this style which are better left untouched, like if you ever come across a Nibo in this style, be forewarned that they are known to explode!!! That's why they're off the market now, but may pop up on eBay or something...

The Nibo pipe lighter has the same distinguished and classic styling as the Corona "Old Boy" lighter. (((Due to quality issues, this item has been discontinued.)))
...there's quite a few variations on the theme out there.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
fueltank capacity too small
I go a week on a full charge smoking 5-6 bowls a day average. I don't think that's too small.
Compared to other lighters in the $20 range ( and there aren't many for a pipe ) it's pretty outstanding.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
How sturdy is the post that holds the flint and how does it handle being carried in a pocket all day? I had purchased a Xikar model and the dang flint tube kept coming undone. Finally, after the third return I wrote Xikar and they sent me another. I have not carried it though due to the bad experiences with the others.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
My Xikar Pipeline's nozzle turns on me sometimes but I can twist it back to the desired position easily enough. The only other issue I have with the Pipeline is the screw for the flint is a bit sloppy. I read somewhere here that folks use a bit of non-permanent loctite on that part when they replace the flint. It was $50 but has a lifetime warranty and a free case when you register the product.
I agree with rcstan though. For $20 the Vertigo does look pretty outstanding. I may have popped on it if I had seen it before I picked up my Pipeline.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
How sturdy is the post that holds the flint and how does it handle being carried in a pocket all day? I had purchased a Xikar model and the dang flint tube kept coming undone. Finally, after the third return I wrote Xikar and they sent me another. I have not carried it though due to the bad experiences with the others.
My Xikar did that once. It ts a pretty easy fix to remove the screw from the bottom, then remove the base plate and metal casing. After that you can easily get to the screw that holds flint tube to re-tighten. But for $50 I wish I wouldn't have had to do a it in the first place.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
My Xikar did that once. It ts a pretty easy fix to remove the screw from the bottom, then remove the base plate and metal casing. After that you can easily get to the screw that holds flint tube to re-tighten.

Same problem here. I used the gunsmith's version of Loctite. Easy fix, problem solved.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
how does it handle being carried in a pocket all day
It does pretty well depends on how you treat it. I keep mine in my right front pocket in its nylon case with only my wallet as the other thing in there. I would guess if you kept it in the same pocket with your change, keys and whatever else that moved and knocked about a lot, even the $400 lighter will take a beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.