PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
So I just visited an antique store the other day and I ended up buying about five old estate pipes, four of them are in perfect shape and will only take a little work to get back in working order, the fifth one I bought because I really wanted a challenge as a beginner. The pipe itself, has a not very deep crack in the chimney and was wondering how to repair that would I sand it down, putty it, and stain it then it or what should I do; also sorry for not posting pictures since I don't know how to, and I do really want to give it a try at repairing it.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Well here goes nothing I am trying to post the picture of the crack, and if it works please keep in mind that I am God awful with a camera.
IMG_1839_zpscf0c17b2.jpg
[/url][/img]

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
So would it be best as a beginner to avoid a project like this?
~ Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks Roth, I think I will give it a try and I will also take your advice and PM the Old Cajun about the fireplace cement you were talking about earlier. You all on the forums are so nice and a huge help Thanks again.

~Ron

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Well, top the bowl(sand it down with sand paper on a flat surface, move the top of the bowl across it until even and smooth). Save the briar dust and pack the dust back into the outside of the crack and coat with super glue working it into the crack as much as you can, let dry sand smooth, then fireplace cement the inside. Oh, and read and live by http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/ it will show you everything you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.