PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Hello from Whitby Ontario Canada !
I first tried a pipe a few years ago and liked the whole experience. I have enjoyed cigars for some time and I wanted to try a pipe, as I grew up around a pipe smoker. Coming from cigars I can say that I appreciate the different flavours and experience that smoking a pipe has to offer. I must admit though , I am having difficulty with the learning curve involved with packing and smoking a pipe. I definitely have a ways to go before I can truly say I am getting the full experience.
I have watched a number of videos on packing and smoking yet I am still encountering problems. It would seem that once lit I get very little smoke on my draws and have issues with the pipe going out and I will often need to relight . I am hoping that in addition to making new friends, learning about pipe smoking in general that I may also get some trouble shooting tips to help me get the most out of my experience.
Thanks and here’s to new beginnings !

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Welcome to the Forum. Just make sure your tobacco is dry.... more than less. Get a good light. Give the first few draws during the light harder than you think.
Relax.
It takes practice.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome Max, What pipes and tobaccos are you smoking? Dry your tobacco, don't pack too tight, take your time and don't give up. Nothing wrong with relights. Depending on the tobacco I may have several relights. Stick with it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pack: drizzle the tobacco into the bowl. Never press down with a finger into the bowl. When you draw you want the tobacco to allow air to pass down through thebbowl into the chamber draft easily, which facilitates burn.through it easily. This should help both problems.
Lighting: for now you might consider overlighting, until the tobacco catches flame and rises up out of the bow. Then gradually cut back to a normal, but thorough, light.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Welcome Max! Lots of good advice here. Start by packing very lose, smoke real slow. Slower than you ever thought possible. Re-lights are ok, we all do it. It takes time to figure it all out. Hang in there.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Welcome to the Forums!
Dry your tobacco, drier than you think - almost crunchy

Don't overpack your pipe - pack your pipe lightly - a little firmness - springy to the touch

Sip your pipe - don't puff like a cigar

Try not to overheat the bowl - there will be some warmth but it shouldn't be overly hot

The first light is a charring light - just to set up the tobacco - tamp lightly and relight

It's ok to let it go out and to re-light

It's also ok to dump a little of the ash before relighting

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome Max from just on the other side of Toronto!
You've been given great advice already. Try that out and report back. Don't be discouraged by the steep learning curve of pipe smoking. It can be a little intimidating at first, but it is worth the effort.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anthony, good observation about scorching the rim. When I smoked an overlight happened about a third of the time, so I thought of it as normal; undesirable as overkill but not damaging. But it is, or could be.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pack: drizzle the tobacco into the bowl. Never press down with a finger into the bowl.
If there's an ember near the top, good advice. Otherwise, rubbish! I never drizzle, and certainly do use a finger to get the right density when loading a pipe.
If the tobacco is dry enough, no technique is needed for loading, and charring lights are often unnecessary.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Great advice so far ! I will list my pipes and my tabacco’s once my little one is off to bed and I am packing my pipe .
As for the dryness of the tabacco I am guessing that right out of the tin is just to moist ?

Jan 8, 2013
As for the dryness of the tabacco I am guessing that right out of the tin is just to moist ?
Often, but not always. It usually depends on the blend itself and the type of blend. Aromatics tend to be quite a bit more moist than non aromatics, but even non aromatics can be too moist. While some blends, I can pack a pipe fresh out of the tin, there are others that I'll let sit out all day while I'm at work before lighting up when I get home. I think a good rule of thumb for most blends, unless I already know (from experience) it is dry enough, is to let a bowl's worth dry for at about 10 to 15 minutes before loading. That being said, you'll sometimes encounter a blend that still feels quite moist regardless of how long you let it dry, but will still smoke fine and smoke cool.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Pipes
Hilson limited edition 275

Brigham algonquin pipe 226

Stanwell Black Diamond

Ser Jacopo Maxima 11

Corn Cob MM
Tobacco
Peterson Summertime 2018

Dunhill Early Morning