PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

av47

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
In my very limited experience I'd say my favorite is the Country Gentleman which I bought bent. Personally the bent pipes have more visual appeal.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I still have the 'finished' Legend I got at the drugstore back in 2014 and smoke it all the time.

With the success of that first cob, I began to get more. Lots of shapes and sizes to pick from. Inexpensive!

The Missouri Pride might be the best of the bunch. It's unfinished, which seems to be cooler, but certainly lighter.

I've found that the bent cobs are fine, but I have to take that crink out of the stems with heat or they're a bugger to get a pipe cleaner through.

I've also found that some of my other stems work in some of my cobs, so I can modify accordingly.

I've got a military mount "P" lip for a Peterson Barrel that works, and a couple of Cobbit stems, which are vulcanite, that I use. One of the cobbit stems has been modified, and reduced in tenon size. (it broke off in the Shire it came in)

av47

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Thanks newbroom. I may have to try an unfinished cob for my next pipe purchase. I'm already feeling a bad case of PAD developing.
I have another question for you fine pipe smoking people. I think I've been confusing aromatic with flavorful. I'm realizing now that aromatic is more about the aroma than the taste. Is this an accurate understanding? I know I'm new and my pipe tobacco pallet mat not be as refined as most but I am not feeling like im getting the flavor I expected from aros.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Welcome av47. I have found that certain aromatics are enjoyable, I started out smoking the pipe with Lane 1Q (mentioned above) which is one of the most popular blends on the planet, and I like other aro's but at this point I have really leaned toward non-aromatic straight blends, like english/balkan blends, virginia perique or burley.

As MSO stated, your tastes will change.

You might want to try some of the samplers that are offered by one of the online stores.

Don't hurry, relax and enjoy the ride!

av47

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
I have some Lane 1Q, Lane BCA and SWR Aromatic on the way. They should be here before the weekend which means I'll have a very busy Saturday ahead of me. Also have a second MM Country Gentleman on the way becuase the first one is too good to be lonely. With any lucky the Autumn weather will hold and I'll sit outside reading letters written to 'Hank' but received and answered by A. Miller and staring aimlessly at various parts of my yard.

av47

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Just enjoyed my first bowl of BCA. Wowie! It was exactly what I hoped for in pipe smoking. Tomorrow I'll give the 1-Q/BCA mix a try. I already see myself mixing BCA with lots of other blends.
As for CB cherry, well it's been tossed into my drawer along with some unknown blend I picked up at the local B&M. I guess I'll save them for when I need a bowl to remember what I don't enjoy smoking.
The CB royal I will keep in rotation with BCA.
I've some SWRA to try and the aforementioned 1-Q.
Well on my way to developing my tastes. Thanks for the tips.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
I would save all those blends you don't like as somewhere, maybe way down the road, you may gain a deeper appreciation of those blends, or not.

av47

Lurker
Sep 21, 2017
Tried SWR Aromatic today and my wife finally said "Oh that smells good!" Maybe now I can start working my way indoors. :roll: yeah right..
Currenty enjoying a four way blend of SWRA, 1-Q, BCA and CB Royal. Not a bad mix at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.