PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I often load one pipe with an aro an another with a vaper or other natural blend. When one goes out, I light the other. The difference between the two blends really comes out with this technique.
But, as long as you don't set your beard on fire and you enjoy the time with your pipe, you are doing OK.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spend some time wandering through tobacco pages of our sponsors -- smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, 4 noggins, Cup O Joes, etc. See what's out there, and how they rate the strength, room note, and taste, and what the different constituent tobaccos are in each blend. Buy in small quantities, preferably in bulk in one ounce quantities. Try different genres -- aromatic, English, Virginias, Va/Per, etc. Don't throw out the ones you don't like; your tastes will change, evolve, develop. Only you can travel this road for yourself, so take it slow and read about a lot more blends than you try. Happy travels.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Captain Black Gold bites like a rabid rattlesnake, and if it weren't for this forum would have eventually put me off pipe smoking. Since then I've learned much about The Art, and still much to learn. Welcome!

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Winton: I totally agree with you about trying an aromatic and non aro side by side, its a great way to wake up your brain to the subtle tastes!
Halfy: Very good point, and remember pack light, smoke slow and let it roll in your nose etc...
As a beginner I didn't care much about tobacco itself, I just wanted something that smelled like what i remembered a pipe to smell like, sweet and rich but found most common aromatics were just too subtle. I puffed too hard to get any flavor only to get hot air. Now I have found many aros that I can actually taste on my pallet. I seem to be a minority but don't be surprised if straight viginias even great ones are just as if not more tasteless as aro's at first (I used to call them matics, get it? aromatics without the aro :) ).

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
The great thing about this hobby is the variety. I rarely smoke the same thing day to day. Escudo is my favorite VAper, but I have about a dozen others I smoke. Tonight I was feeling Latakia, so Dunhill Aperitif. Whenever I order from SP or PC, I try to toss in a tin of something from their top list that I haven't tried. Some you'll like immediately, others will grow on you, some will be meh. De gustibus non disputandum est.

chrishopkins

Lurker
Feb 25, 2016
Winston Salem
I think Mac Baren 7 Seas is a great way to go. But if you are looking for an aromatic that is a bit more dry and more full of flavor, I would suggest a bulk blend form Cornell & Diehl. But to your point I was also disappointed with Captain Black Gold, that was my first tobacco. It sounds like your next order should give you a good variety of options.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Hi and Welcome
I would suggest -
Macbaren Original Choice (lots of body, good strong sweet flavour and aroma)

Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman (good body, cherry flavour, nicotine and aroma)

Peterson Sunset Breeze (Good body and aroma, almond flavour)

Lanes RLP-6 (Captain black flavour and aroma but superior to pouch version)
-Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...to continue my avuncular ramble, don't buy any blend in quantity much above two or three ounces, since even if you love a blend now, your taste will change rapidly. I don't think you want a pound of anything yet. With so many blends out there, unless you are a real creature of habit, I'm not sure you'll need anything by the pound later, but it depends on how much you smoke.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
See I live in Alberta Canada to be exact where a tin of any tobacco costs 50-110 dollars due to our tabacco tax for 1-2oz so I ordered online to save major bucks should be here tomorrow by my math.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
Just received my first order today sipping on a bowl of 7 seas black. No taxes or dutys :) thanks to 4noggins.com

First taste of a good aro in my mind, still wanting more flavour though not dissapointed however.

Status
Not open for further replies.