New to it all...Am I headed in the right direction?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunny

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
Hey everyone - How's it going? As the title says I'm new to it all...new to pipes, smoking a pipe, new to the forum, etc.
My wife has always raved how she loves the smell of a pipe granted I don't know anyone in her family that ever smoked one. I'm pretty fond of it myself. I've smoke a pipe once and that was 9 or 10 years ago. I enjoyed, I got the bite I've read so much about and really had no clue what I was doing. Still don't, but I've done a lot of reading over these past few days.
What has led me to wanting to smoke a pipe? Well, it's something I've always thought about and the other night I was a reading an article on pipe smoking for beginners. I mulled it over for a few days and decided to give it a shot. I told the wife, she was on board, and even wants me to smoke in the house to fill it with the aroma. I'm still unsure about that, but we'll see.
In reality I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I don't have any of my "supplies" yet as I just ordered them last night, but after a lot of reading on here, I pulled the trigger. I still need to order some tobacco and find a B&M around me to try a few more.
So far this is what I have ordered:
Pipes:

- MO Meerschaum Country Gentlemen

- Savinelli Trevi Smooth (I liked the shape of the pipe)

- Recently won a Stanwell Royal Rouge on eBay (it's an older/used pipe that looked really clean. I got it cheap, $41, so I'm not out a lot if I don't like it. It'll be here by mid-Dec., it's coming from Italy)
Ordered a Zippo pipe lighter and everything I need for it (fluid, flints, wicks, etc).
I have a cart built with tobacco, shank brush, ashtray, pipe cleaners...and yeah, I think that's about it.
Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.
I look forward to getting to know some of you and look forward to my pipe smoking adventures!

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Welcome! I'm smoking a Savinelli Trevi 320 right now, it's a great shape and a popular one. I recommend it. As for tobacco, what are you looking for? Aromatics tend to be a bit goupy and no real taste, but bite. Look into Frog Morton on pipesandcigars.com. Great English style blends that are easy to start on. Eventually you will learn how to taste and enjoy tobacco as a relaxant. Cobs are great for trying blends and MM is quite popular. I recommend them for aromatic and Lakeland blends though. Don't want to ghost that new pipe you bought!

gunny

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks Farmer, I'll look into it. Right now I have a couple different tins of Drew Estate in my cart and a tin of Davidoff Scottish Mixture. I'm not looking to thrown money out the window (for one I don't have it, lol), but if I get a tin of something I don't really care for I'll set it aside and come back to it. Maybe as my taste grows, if I order one I don't care for now, it'll grow with me.
I've been on P&C.com all day reading different reviews. Any suggestions as to the specifics on the Frog Morton? On the town was the first to catch my eye...

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
Hi Gunny- you sure seem to be on the right track. I'd throw a Czech pipe tool on that list if you haven't already. I consider myself pretty new as well, but what I lack in experience I make up with enthusiasm. I highly recommend reading as much as you can on this forum, and not just the recent posts. When I first got serious I scrolled deep into the General Pipe Discussion and Pipe Tobacco Discussion histories and absorbed as much as I could. As far as tobacco choices goes, I'd highly recommend trying Anniversary Kake and Chatham Manor from Pipes and Cigars. Both are easy to appreciate and you really have to abuse them to make either one bite. And if all else fails, go back to the basics- pack it looser, dry it more, and sip, don't suck.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Don't mention it. On the town is oriental forward, so a bit more spicey than the rest. Honestly the whole series hits different notes. Depends on what your personal taste is like. Do you like smokey food and alcohol or spicey? Frog across the pond is great to start in on Syrian Latakia. Which is bacon in the tabacco world to to me. Real sweet and smokey. I would buy if I were you the on the town and the frog Accross the pond. Try them both then figure out what is missing. If you like no urban then frog cellar is grand. Got three tins in the cellar. Also, check XXX blend. It's an English with a bourbon topping. Great and easy.

gunny

Lurker
Nov 15, 2015
Ah, the pipe tool. Yes, I forgot to list that earlier. It was part of my initial order. I knew I was forgetting something and couldn't remember. Thank you for the reminder Dadgy!
You and I are the same regarding the enthusiasm...I'm excited and jumping in feet first! As well I've chewing tobacco for over 25 years and I hope to forget about that when I get my pipes.
Once I get a little more, okay a lot more, free time I hope to dig deeper and deeper into this forum. I'm a retired Marine who is now a full-time college student (the old man on campus) and currently renovating my house. Since I'm self employed I decided it was break time and jumped on here, lol.
I will look into those tobaccos as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
gunny, welcome aboard. You are on the right track, I think. Good to acquire the items one at a time so you think a little harder and learn more, as opposed to just buying a kit. For tobacco, I'd recommend small quantities of several kinds. One of our sponsors, the online retailer 4noggins has an English sampler, non-aromatic, five blends in 1 ounce packs. I'd stick with one or two ounces at a time, even when you find blends you like, because your taste will develop as you go. Relax, enjoy, see what you like. An extra cob or two might be good, so you can let your pipes dry out a few days every smoke.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of information here. I agree with MSO about buying small quantities at first as you find your way through the pipe blends. Another thing you will want is some small Mason jars to store your tobacco in, two ounces of bulk will fit in a 4 ounce Mason jar.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
your taste will develop as you go
I agree, or that's been my experience since Jan 2014 smoking a pipe exclusively. I used to love the Latakia blends and still do, but have gotten past the tongue bite issues many new pipe smokers have and now smoke Virginias often. You will find your way soon enough.
Welcome to a forum filled with great people!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Welcome to the forum, lots of good suggestions already. I will mention that the vast majority of pipe smokers smoke aromatics contrary to what you would think reading forums,so don't rule them out just yet. I would suggest trying some English Aromatics and don't forget some of the codger blends, they've been around this long for a reason.

Mar 1, 2014
YMMV, lots of people seem to love a Zippo for their pipe, I've tried the normal and pipe inserts and have yet to make it work. Matches or the trusty Bic are mostly all I use, but usually the Bic, which still works when held at an angle upside down and effectively shoots the flame into the bowl, and the flame on a Bic also seems to be fairly gentle.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
You've received good advice thus far and ordered all of the customary hardware. I'd recommend a Virginia/Perique blend (VaPer) as they quickly became a favorite of mine early on. Try Escudo or Duhill Navy Rolls. If you enjoy rituals, these provide some of that, developing your own routine.
Welcome to Fight Club... If it's your first night, you fight ;)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Get some C&D Autumn Evening....like a pound of it. Use that to add to some of your Codger blends. It doesn't take much to spice up an already tasty smoke. You'll be adding 'room note', and flavor that is easy to like.
I like that you've done a bit of homework already and don't blast the forums (like I did) with questions that have been answered at least a dozen times in previous threads.

When I saw that you'd ordered a Country Gent, I knew you'd be ok.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
It's a good start. I would graduate and experiment with other notable pipe makers and higher grades. I pretty much have tried all the mainstay Danish, English, and Italian brands. I stay away from American mass produced pipes because they are heavy lacquered and are very cheaply made. Savinelli's are great pipes, I actually have been collecting the older high grades such as PUNTO ORO, NONPARIEL, GUILBLEO D ORO, and AUTOGRAPHS. I find these are much better performers as I have tried a lot of the lower end Savinelli's which smoke great, but the higher grades are worth the extra money. You can usually pick up a NONPARIEL estate for around $60 in great condition. The have a great hand feel, smoke qualitys, and comfortable vulcanite stem. You may also consider trying older Caminettos and Ascortis. They are excellent smoke dues to the curing process. You can set them down for a couple minutes and will still remain lit. I you want to try an English pipe, a good place to start is a Comoy's Guilhall. They used excellent briar, classical shapes, and a wonderful golden contrast finish. These generally run about $60 on the ebay market. Just be sure you purchase a Guildhall with he 3 bar art deco stem logo. These are from the 50's and are guaranteed quality. These are just some suggestions. you will find what you like over time with experimentation.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome to the forums and great choice of pipes.
You may want to go to smokingpipes.com and buy 1 oz of 3 or 4 bulk tobacco's of different styles.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
This would be a good bulk starter selection

Aromatic - Lane 1Q or McClelland Darkest Caramel

Va/Per - Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Latakia & Oriental - Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Va / Burley /Dark Fired - Mac Baren HH Dark Fired

Virginia - McClelland: 2010 - Classic Virginia Or Mac Baren Virginia #1

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I will gladly trade all of my pipes, tobacco and accesories for your wife. With that kind of support, I'd be happy to start over from scratch!
Looks to me like you're on the right track. Welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.