PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Thomas James is becoming one of my favorite pipe carvers. In my opinion he is really underrated and doesn't get the notoriety he deserves. I have also had the chance to meet him and hang out with him at several columbus pipe shows as well as in the shop at smokers haven. He is a heck of a nice guy on top of being a talented pipe carver.
A few weeks ago, someone listed one of his pipes, an unsmoked estate, on ebay. It is his most famous shape, The Ace of Spades. It was not listed by one of the well known ebay sellers and noone bid on the pipe. I didn't bid because money was a bit tight at the end of the auction but I contacted the seller a few days later and made an offer. He accepted and we made our exchange.
The pipe is gorgeous and is really light considering its almost 7" long and has a long briar shank.
OK, OK, enough of my rambling, here are the pics.
p1010001-600x450.jpg

p1010006-600x450.jpg

Nomenclature and Shank adornment

p1010011-600x450.jpg

and my pair of Thomas James pipes

p1010012-600x450.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have seen this pipe from Thomas and always really liked the shape. It is very original and whenever I see one, I know who made it. I hope it smokes great for you. Congrats on a great addition to your collection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is totally distinctive, a really trademark shape. Amazing sense of design artistry carried off with that finely executed finish and stem. Bravo. Good catch, unsmoked besides!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Thanks guys. It really is a nice pipe, very distinctive shape and well engineered. I honestly haven't had the chance to smoke it yet, but I will be sure to report back when I do. It is an unsmoked estate but for some reason it has some teeth marks on the stem, as if a previous owner didn't smoke it but just held it in their mouth.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
All the above is true! Thomas is a great guy, one of my favorites to hang out with at shows. He is definitely not as well known as he should be, but I think he likes it that way.

I've loved this shape since I saw it for the first time, congrats on a great find.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a really nice pipe for sure. A very nice compliment to your first pipe. Enjoy. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.