PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There are at least two types:
(1) Tasters. Basically want a snack they can smoke. Prefer mild tobaccos.
(2) Sensation junkies. Enjoy having nicotine pouring through their veins. Prefer medium-strong to strong tobaccos.
Kind of interesting how these groups cluster around certain types of tobaccos: OTC and boutique aros for the first, and mainstream naturals for the second.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I think you can be a "taster" and also like stronger tobacco's. I do.
I'm not sure many of us would like "nicotine pouring through our veins". Maybe ex-cigarette smokers.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
What are you?

I'd say that at this stage of my journey of discovery, I'd see myself in the first part.

Though I think there is also a bit of both. I wouldn't smoke if I didn't like sensations, right?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smokers? Hey, we're talking about people here. There aren't even just two kinds of ice cream. There are about as many types as pipe smokers.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't fall into either camp. I lover full flavored blends, not overly powerful in the nic department, and stay away from "heavily flavored" tobaccos (read cherry / vanilla / chocolate / etc).
How many pipe smokers are there? What ever answer to that question is, add one and I would say you are somewhere close to the number of categories pipe smokers can be lumped into.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never understood why some people have such a compulsion to sort people into tidy little compartments. Over the years I've only met one blend that I detested. While I enjoy and sometimes crave, nicotine, I can fully enjoy a blend for it's taste alone. My preferences lean to "English" though I have an "aro" or three in my small cache of blends. As you propound there are at least two types of smokers. I think there should be a least one additional pigeonhole, (3) Other.
I'd consider myself as an "other." I smoke what my "mood" dictates.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am an absolute 'taster", but not in any sense as defined here. What would be the point of being into tasting the flavors and only smoking bland stuff? I eat Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Korean, New Mexican, and all sorts of savory, spicy, and hot. I like a broad range of tobaccos, from subtle to over the top. And it's all about flavor. And that's why I learned how to prep and smoke to maximize the flavor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hey, we're talking about people here. There aren't even just two kinds of ice cream. There are about as many types as pipe smokers.
And yet, people cluster around similar behaviors. We're less in control than people think :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People do cluster, too, but they also helplessly act in intensely individual ways. When we're in our teens, we try so hard to be part of a group, one of a few groups in high school. But when people burst into adult life, they suddenly differentiate helplessly. The same group of preppies, or alternately "greasers" (old term from the fifties), artsy kids, or whatever, will break out into many different lives--a medical career, a criminal career, a military career, show biz, a monastery, and so forth, and suddenly the clustering seems to be some kind of a weird hallucination. Probably is.

Jan 8, 2013
I am joining Warren in "Other". I like strong blends, mild blends, English blends, Virginia blends, even a few aromatics. Just depends on the mood.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'm not so much a taster....more a hipster. Although I'm partial to a bit of the other.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But when people burst into adult life, they suddenly differentiate helplessly. The same group of preppies, or alternately "greasers" (old term from the fifties), artsy kids, or whatever, will break out into many different lives--a medical career, a criminal career, a military career, show biz, a monastery, and so forth, and suddenly the clustering seems to be some kind of a weird hallucination.
I think that's the actual clustering. Fascinating topic and I'm glad you brought it up. The high school stuff is more pure signaling to belong; as adults, it becomes justification for lifestyle.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
If have to fit in a category I'd say (2). I like very strong blends that burst of tobacco flavour. But then again I like tasting whatever I can get my hands on. I would also fit nicely into prairiedruid (4) :puffy:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Categorizing anything is always dangerous. Just when you think you have the bases covered up pops the exception. The reality is that maybe you can establish the two poles but the individuals in between usually follow a bell curve from one extreme to the other. I'm not sure any two descriptions will cover us all. I'm not sure why it necessary anyway. We all smoke to satisfy our individual tastes however hopelessly egocentric or nonsensical they might appear to be. Why does it need to fit into some category?

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I enjoy my pipe at the end of the day. It's a relaxation thing. I pick out a tobacco I'm in the mood for (Englishes/Orientals/Latakia, whatever we're calling that these days.) I also love the history of pipe, whether its a historical brand (I collect Dunhills and Barlings) or the personal history of the pipe (I remember smoking this pipe at a certain time ...) We are a tough people to pigeon-hole.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone wants to be "Other," disregarding the fact that the original message implied multiple categories. It flatters the Self.

Status
Not open for further replies.