PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A friend of mine likes to buy prime older pipes with broken stems for a song, and then get them fitted with a new one. Everybody wins. 8)
(For you BritWood purists---yes, the button is about ten thou taller than the original, but it was by request.)
BcLgNVT.jpg

MY9sK9r.jpg

E77bhpk.jpg

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
That button and hole is a thing of beauty. Very well done job.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Beautiful stem work, as always, and what a gorgeous pipe, especially now that it's got a stem that tapers properly, rather than the more typical "pinched" stem that GBD princes too often come with.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, gorgeous work. That button looks sublime! How challenging is it to mount the brass rondell? Is it from the orginal stem it do you have a stash?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How challenging is it to mount the brass rondell?
It's quite a tricky business to do well (meaning dead flush & in exactly the right position). Many people think you just press them into the stem with a soldering gun. :rofl: Not so.
It is true that GBD used a task-dedicated, electrically heated arbor press sort of machine that made short work of rondel placement, but that doesn't translate. Such machines move in only ONE direction, the stems were set in a padded V-block, etc. Trying to duplicate the results of a rigid industrial setup like that with hardware store hand tools isn't possible quality-wise, and has a high risk of trashing several hours of work. (The little medallion can only be added at the end)
Adding to all that is some of GBD's rondels were stamped from .8 mm thick plate, while others are almost foil thin. Just getting the latter sort off the old stem without damage takes some trickery, never mind what squashing it with the unequal pressure of a soldering iron's wedge-pointy tip would do.
The only way to get a guaranteed good & consistent result that I've found is to inlet the stem material by hand with a small rotary cutter, and glue it in place.
Is it from the original stem it do you have a stash?
My stash comes and goes. At the moment I'm only transferring them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought as much George, thanks for taking the time to explain the process.

I just re-read GLP's comment on the stem taper, it is a thing of beauty.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Incredible workmanship and great description of the job.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very nice replacement stem...sleek and sexy for sure. Well done! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.