Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The new site is officially open for business.
Why http://www.briarbid.com/ is better -
1. Lower Fees & Simpler Fee Structure. (We have a minimum $1 listing fee to help keep out the junk.)
2. Made Solely for Pipe Collectors - Site Focuses Only on Pipes and related goods.
3. Created BY and FOR Pipe Smokers and Collectors - The site is owned by Trusted Members of the Pipe Community - Greg Pease & Kevin Godbee.
4. More than just a buying & selling platform, Briarbid.com is a Community of users, with a discussion forum integrated into the system.
5. BriarBid presents a more authentic, realistic auction environment. Auctions are run for a selected duration, but are automatically extended as long as there are active bidders, closing only when bidders are silent. No more sniping!
Bidders will only be able to see their own names on bids. Other bidders are anonymous until the auction is over, then all names are revealed. A Seller can see the names of all bidders at all times.
Please sign-up for an account too! http://www.briarbid.com/register.php

Jul 15, 2011
The site is owned by Trusted Members of the Pipe Community - Greg Pease & Kevin Godbee.
With a tagline like that, it is hard not to be excited. I checked out the site and think it is awesome! Way to go Kevin!

Jul 15, 2011
I think my only concern is that this was supposed to replace the Buy/Sell/Trade part of the forums, but I dont see any kind of heading or category for tobacco sales or trade, which is something I do on here pretty frequently. Is this something that can be done through the forums or a function that is going to be added at a later date? Or am I just not seeing the function since I am not actually registered on the site yet?

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I would assume that tobacco will not be allowed on briarbid.com, for the fact that someone underage can join and buy it??? unless it's a vintage tin or a tobacco that's not produced any more just like ebay is.
EDIT- There is a FORUM and WANT ADS...I guess you can place a want add and ask for tobacco trades? I just registered and haven't read the official rules.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
The way I see it is that getting rid of the BUY/TRADE/SELL forum, is getting rid of comradery that made this site special. I could find a decent pipe at a price that would have been extended from friends. "Briar bid" has its place, but already the prices are crazy. I could have gotten a better deal on the forum, because we are good hearted people looking to help each other out, not trying to fleece each other.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We can't have tobacco just yet. Hopefully within the next couple of months we will have it added.
Please do not post trades in the forums on BriarBid.
@Damnyak - There are several "Buy Outs" listed right now, and they are easily spotted with a big button with red text. You can also filter to only show them once you go inside a specific category.
There are also filter selections on the left sidebar when you are inside a category.
Check it out: http://www.briarbid.com/pipes,category,1872,parent_id,categories
Note: I was answering the question you posted about filtering buy outs before you edited it out of your above post.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
PipesMagazine members Lonestar, Briar Bird and Mattia have all said they intend on selling pipes at http://www.briarbid.com/
Also, the site's been officially live for 1-hour. Give us some time to get the word out and for more items to be listed.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
5. BriarBid presents a more authentic, realistic auction environment. Auctions are run for a selected duration, but are automatically extended as long as there are active bidders, closing only when bidders are silent. No more sniping!
Wow, that sounds pretty cool! That's the most frustrating thing about ebay.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Kevin
Just looking for some more details. Can you please explain by what you mean when you say "Junk?"
Are you looking only to sell higher end stuff? I am asking as I was wanting to sell a lot of entry level briars for cheap.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I could have gotten a better deal on the forum,
Thats not true at all ! There just aren't hundreds of auctions listed yet, so selection is smaller. Everything I posted for sale there is starting much cheaper than I would have offered it here. I am hoping that members here will bid and the end price will reflect the value better. But thats how auctions work. Some will sell a little higher than I would have asked, some will sell a little lower.

I will point out, the majority of pipes up today ARE higher end pipes, so of course prices are higher than for cheap pipes. There are several pipes on right now that are absolute steals, have a look around and you will see what I mean !

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I am asking as I was wanting to sell a lot of entry level briars for cheap.
I bet anything you're offering is fine. I think he was saying he wants to keep out actual junk, not cheaper pipes. Imagine 500 listings for "fen-shun durable plastic tobacco pipe" :nana:

If its not worth paying $1 to list, then it probably shouldn't be listed !

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks lonestar. I was assuming he was trying to make sure glass pipes, and screens and such as we see on other site didn't make it. Just wanted to make sure my no names and Grabows were still welcome. Looking forward to it.
I also see he snagged Briar Blues. This is very good.
I need to sell a lot of my stock so I can fund my habit.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Can you please explain by what you mean when you say "Junk?"
I think (hoping) he just means you're not going to see 200+ listings for those crap Chinese pipes and cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.