Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Coolio's on the new site. Nailed it.
I understand you are busy but I think the FORUM RULES sticky deserves an update.
Looking forward to the editing. ^_^

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have three concerns.
1. On briarbid I will probably worry about my safety of money and whether I would get ripped off. As I understand it anyone can join? I would never trade or sell without knowing someone on the forum first. That worries me a little bit but I could probably keep to people I know unless it gets mega-huge. I am curious if we can file some sort of claim with paypal and at least be protected monetarily?
2. There are some great deals right now but when a bunch of people join more people will bid and prices will rise. It happened with ebay.com and with shopgoodwill.com. I hope I am wrong and this isn't true.
3. My third concern is that we can't buy or sell on pipesmagazine but we can call out sellers of briarbid on pipesmagazine. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but if that is the case will there be a ton more flaming on the forum?
It does look like a pretty good website though Kevin. I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way. I'm not sure if I will participate or not yet but I will wait a while to make sure money is relatively safe and people can be trusted. Also can buyers and sellers both leave negative feedback? Ebay doesn't allow sellers to give negative feedback which drives me crazy!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Oh and my points are not to rain on your parade just trying to figure out some of my concerns. I hope you have a sunny day Kevin.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Okay Kev, what you need to do right now is to make a new forum here just for Briarbid so that people can post here what they are selling on Briarbid and put a link to it. That way people can see the new stuff here as well and snag more sales through Briarbid :) Allowing us to put links to what we are selling here is a great idea to get the people who are not drooling over your new site every day onto it to check out the new stuff. Providing a login feature here to log into both sites at once would also be sweet. Dealing with multiple logins to use something that originally was part of the same site is just annoying. Other than that, I think you did well Kevin.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I just signed up and am looking forward to seeing how this new site develops. My confirmation email came through immediately.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@photoman13
1. Yes.
2. That is how auctions work. There are Buy Out only items listed too.
3. I cannot predict the future on that one.
There is a User Reputation feature for ALL members.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Buy out is like a buy it now feature. No auction. Price listed is price paid
Mostly, yes. But, you can run an auction with bidding AND a buy out option. This way, bidding takes place normally, but the seller has the option of providing a price that the item can be sold for directly. The buy out option is only in effect until bidding reaches that price.
Reserve pricing is the minimum price at which the item will sell. If bidding never reaches that level, there's no deal.
These options are available when listing an item for sale.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, Kevin, remember as you field these questions that "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished".
I was surprised to see no big, splashy announcement of this new venture.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
@ Kevin The feature where it delays the sales on auctions until the bids stop comming in is just genius, as long as you keep the costs to sell items below ebay, I think you have a home-run here! While I will miss what we had, what you have created could be the best way to buy/sell pipes and tobacco ever made (good for the seller, fair to the buyer). Thanks for going with my idea :) Keeping this forum tied into your new site is probabley going to make it a much faster sucess, I am amazed by how many pipe are already listed for sale!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
To be fair the site probably wouldn't work while there was trading on the forum. They would be in direct competition with each other. That is just bad business.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I don't think he's counting on that type of sponcership anymore, his site will pay for any lost income and more (hopefully). Sponcers will still do the pipes radio though and Photoman is right, wouldn't make sense to be charged to list pipes when you could do that free here.
Personally I would prefer to keep tobacco trades on these forums since we are mainly looking to trade one for another instead of for money. It might even make sense to keep pipe for tobacco trades on our website too, since they are not being sold for money either. If we get forced into selling them for money, I will probabley both use this an a community site which allows us to barter again.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I support that statement fully Flyfishn :) All non-money trades should be allowed here and stay here.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hmm sorry Kevin, I'll usually agree with you but not this time. I think I'll take that opt out option that was so bluntly offered before.

Status
Not open for further replies.