PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
it feels a little weird that I can see posts between members. It makes me feel like I'm eavesdropping.

I wasn't even aware of this feature. Does this mean there is no private messaging function here now?

Jun 27, 2016
I wasn't even aware of this feature. Does this mean there is no private messaging function here now?

PMs work fine here, it looks like he was reading members' publicly-viewable Profile Posts which were mistakenly being treated as a PM system.

Has anyone found a "Night Mode" feature here? My retinas are burning.

Reactions: lightmybriar

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
PMs work fine here, it looks like he was reading members' publicly-viewable Profile Posts which were mistakenly being treated as a PM system.

Thanks...I see now where the PM function is...hadn't got around to figuring that out before.
Has anyone found a "Night Mode" feature here? My retinas are burning.

One of the best things I ever did for my eyes was buying "blue light" or UV protection computer glasses. They make a dramatic difference in how my eyes feel. I can't stand looking at any computer screen without them anymore.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Are those available in prescription lenses?

Yes they are. The ones I have are not prescription and less expensive...but I know of at least the below that offer prescription versions...there may be others out there.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes they are. The ones I have are not prescription and less expensive...but I know of at least the below that offer prescription versions...there may be others out there.

Cool, those would be great for work!?

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This platform is capable of supporting both private messages and conversations, but that appears not to have been activated.

If you click on a member's name, it takes you to a screen with a comment entry field, which is apparently for the "conversations". But if you look above that to the right, there is a "start PM" button.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Another thing that needs fixing, that I just noticed as well: it's nice to have the old pipicons back, but the autocorrect is running amok changing the word 'puff' into the icon.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I know, it's doing it automatically. I saw the conversation between JimInks and Kevin Godbee about it. If it was a bug I expect Godbee would have said so. I think it's just an Easter egg for the site.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I guess I have to learn the necessary tricks, but the spell-check on the new site is highly oppositional. The Belgium burley variant I love so much always comes out Tabac-Manil Semis, and then there's Haddon's Delight. I don't even know the words Semis and Haddon, so I am all the more mystified. I'll live with it, or learn my way around it, but it is annoying. Mostly the new site is snappy. I like it not posting the total number of posts on each new post. Over time, think I'll discover a number of things that are improvements that I just don't "get" right away, not being immersed in tech.

Spell check is browser related, not website.

Jun 27, 2016
Well I'm back to being confused then. I'm not seeing any private messaging function.

From a post, click on the persons screen-name, then click on their screen-name again in the new window that pops up. That brings up another window where you can click on "Start PM", although it looks greyed-out on my screen. It won't appear at all unless you're logged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.