PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try turning your phone horizontal. Which phone?
Aspect ratio is fine, but my phone keeps freezing on here. I have to keep turning the phone off and back on to unfreeze it. Samsung Galaxy Luna Pro.

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
I like the new site! Congrats on the new digs. Is there a new posts button somewhere?

:)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I was told it didn't work. I was able to make a couple of listing on testing, but they got wiped in the launch.

I haven't got back to it yet myself, but you can try and let me know.
I tried listing the Tinder Box in Rockford, Illinois and received an email stating that the listing is pending review and could take up to 48 hours.

A list of B&M's would be great while traveling.

Reactions: lightmybriar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Overall it's a pretty nice job. A couple of features of the old page that were smarter and simpler than the competition, mainly the visibility of a lot of recent threads on the main page, are gone, leaving a lot of dead page space.

In some ways, the upgrade, while much more fully featured, is less convenient than its predecessor.

With the former site I could scroll down the PM's without needing to click on pages, which made looking for particular exchanges quite easy. On the other hand, PM's can now have proper formatting.

The necessity of including larger swaths of screen real estate with advertisements, coupled with the more spread out layout, actually makes things a bit more cramped.

Depending on the subscription price, I'd be fine with paying for an ad free page, as I do at a couple of other forums. It makes for a much clearer user experience.

I'm assuming that the loss of post counts that people have experienced are somehow related to the loss of images and some older threads from the transition.

Most of the features I'm familiar with on other forums that have adopted this platform. They're nice to have.

And it's no small feat that this was as smooth a transition as it was, so bravo again!

Reactions: admin

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
the visibility of a lot of recent threads on the main page, are gone, leaving a lot of dead page space.

The "view more" button at the bottom could be darkened or highlighted...it's nearly invisible currently.

If it were up to me, the "latest discussions" section would be displayed at the top of the page, and the "main category" list would be below it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
If it were up to me, the "latest discussions" section would be displayed at the top of the page, and the "main category" list would be below it.
This.

The necessity of including larger swaths of screen real estate with advertisements, coupled with the more spread out layout, actually makes things a bit more cramped.
This too. Another forum I'm in, which also uses Xenforo has the sidebar @ 250 pixels. Ours is 320. That is a considerable amount, especially since our forum has fixed settings for the body whilst theirs is elastic.

They also have the New Posts as a widget in the sidebar sitting atop all other widgets: a very clean and accessible layout, even though having the new posts in the body instead of the sidebar provides for a longer list (which I like).

Not to harp, but the avatars are also clearly seen as they have the right sizes:

Now, I'm not saying that this forum should become THAT. I'm just pointing out a forum that has managed to a neat degree of polish for their site, which makes it super accessible and painless to use: the features get out of the way and users can focus on the raison d'etre for a forum: discussion and camaraderie around a content they share an interest in.

Reactions: Marindas

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I like everything about the new site but it feels a little weird that I can see posts between members. It makes me feel like I'm eavesdropping.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
tenor.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I have to learn the necessary tricks, but the spell-check on the new site is highly oppositional. The Belgium burley variant I love so much always comes out Tabac-Manil Semis, and then there's Haddon's Delight. I don't even know the words Semis and Haddon, so I am all the more mystified. I'll live with it, or learn my way around it, but it is annoying. Mostly the new site is snappy. I like it not posting the total number of posts on each new post. Over time, think I'll discover a number of things that are improvements that I just don't "get" right away, not being immersed in tech.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting. I get no such thing as a spell check. Maybe it's your browers (there I mispelled 'browser' on purpose and got no red underlinings or anything). ?

Status
Not open for further replies.