PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agiantsquid

Lurker
Aug 13, 2013
Ok, so I am rather new to smoking pipes (around 3 months) and for my birthday on the 11th, my father, girlfriend and brother chipped in for enough to buy a nice pipe, Before this, I was using a fairly nice (25$) bent stem briar that was working out fine. But needless to say, I was extremely excited for this pipe! I went to Milan Tobacconists near my house in downtown Roanoke, VA. and bought a new Savinelli.
After I let the attendant, (who was incredibly rude for the second time I patronized their establishment) know what pipe I wanted, I heard him mumbling something to the other employee there. I was already looking at tobaccos and assumed it had something to do with the pipe so I paid it no mind. When I walked out of the store I was in a bit of a hurry and quickly got into my car and left. It wasn't until later that night that I opened the box and found that the stem was actually different from the one it had on in the store. This confused me, but I knew it to be true because the price tag read a different price, as well as the markings on the stem being different (tiger striping). I shrugged and prepared to enjoy my pipe. And I did, for 3 bowls.
I removed the stem once from the shank to give it a good cleaning, and it seemed slightly too large to me. It was very difficult to remove and get back in. Much more so than the other 2 that I had done this on previously. Well, there was a small piece of tobacco lodged in the draft hole that I couldn't get loose so I took it apart and when I went to put it back together, the stem was once again incredibly difficult to get back in. So much so that an enormous piece (1/4 - 1/2 inch) cracked off the pipe. After many words that shall not be named, I saw that it was still attached to the pipe, but hanging on for dear life.
So after much blustering, this is my plea: HELP!
Should I take it back to Milan and ask what the deal is? Should I try to repair it myself? Halp meh.
Thanks in advance.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Many shops have a warranty period on their pipes, 90 days is common. Some manufacturers will take a pipe back directly if it was lightly smoked and repair or replace it. First step is to take it to the shop and see if they will make it right.

agiantsquid

Lurker
Aug 13, 2013
Wow, thanks a lot for all the quick responses! And thanks for the welcome!
I'll try to it tomorrow on my lunch break.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Agiantsquid.
I'm sorry to hear of your problem... It is truly a tragedy.

All of the advice above is good advice.
Just an aside, and I may be way off base, but with out seeing a photo, I'm going to venture a guess about what may have happened. If they swapped the stem on you, that is unacceptable.

However; and just as a word of caution, "Never remove the stem from a warm pipe."

It will (in most cases) eventually lead to a loose stem. That in itself isn't a serious problem, just an annoying one. We've had more than one Member mention that while it isn't likely, but, the bowl could just fall right off and make a valiant attempt at breaking the driveway, or sidewalk , or some other surface where the pipe will lose.

Removing a tight stem from a warm pipe could unceremoniously break the shank as well.
As a New Member, I'm sure you have a thousand questions about our shared passion.

So, don't be shy, ask those questions.

I think I'm right in saying that there are "Thousands" of years of pipe smoking experience to be found here.

And, most importantly, "we be nice folks".
:puffy:

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I would do exactly what the others guys said, you should not have a problem, it obviously seems to be a defect. It was probably dropped in the store and was damaged. If they won't help you then send it to savinelli. I'm sorry to hear this, be sure and talk to the manager as stated above. Don't try and fix the problem and don't clean the pipe before taking it back. They will be able to tell you have not enjoyed the pipe for long. As a reminder and a lesson well learned the hard way, always slow down and inspect anything you purchase in the future before leaving the store. This goes with anything, fast food, pipes, tires, etc,etc. always cover you six.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Another thing, the less you mess with something the better off it is, if its not broke then don't fix it. I always try to stay away from removing the stems of my pipes if possible. Just run a good pipe cleaner down the stem and around the inside of the bowl after enjoying. That should do the trick for you. If its a pipe that you must remove the stem to get to the draft hole to clean then just let it ride until its absolutely necessary. Take care and good luck, keep us posted.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
squid, welcome to Forums. I'm really sorry to hear this mishap happened on a first outing with a new pipe.

I think the advice offered is all good. Take the pipe back right away. Avoid removing the stem from a warm

pipe, ever. The reassurance I can offer is, this is a rare event. I have bought dozens of new pipes (although

some on Forums have hundreds, but anyway ...) and they have always stayed intact and broken in. I've been

dissatisfied with certain characteristics of some pipes over time, but I've never had to run one (or ship one)

back to the seller. So this was just bum luck, but don't let it bother you. Plenty of great pipes out there. I'm

one of the "bargain hunters" for new pipes on the Forum, so if you want suggestions on good pipes at

moderate prices, I can offer some of that.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
That blows, Try to take it back, if not contact savinelli, if still now, you can get it fixed up yourself as a last resort. I have one pipe, not a sav but a sportsman that the shank broke on when I was shaping a new stem for it and tried to push a tenon in that was to big. It was a pretty large chunk, I glued it back with the careful use of superglue, it is barely noticable now so dont freak out to much it can get fixed if not replaced. Worse case a band is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.