PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
As a few of you know, I'm a big Savinelli Fan (among others), and I remembered there was recently a thread about leather clad pipes, so I thought I would post this. These were just announced by Savinelli: their SLP line (Super Leather Pipe).

1383238_666387643385298_805152921_n.jpg

I just hope SP.com will end up carrying some of them...
Shutterbug

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I'm also a big Sav fan, but I must admit that I've been a bit soured to the idea of leather clad when I heard the thought that lesser briars can and are used to make such pipes (since they're leather clad, you can't see the quality of the briar).
Depending on the cost though, I DO like the looks of that chocolate brown beauty!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everything old is new again, as the old saying goes. These are nice looking pipes. As much as

I like to hold onto briar, I don't think I'll be buying one. But it's a perennial favorite, and these

will probably sell well. The less than primo briar underneath doesn't bother me at all. The

Sav unfinished pipes are usually seconds with a few fills, but when you smoke them for two or three

months they begin to acquire a golden honey brown finish that only improves with the years and

decades. I'd take an unfinished pipe well over a leather wrapped pipe.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
The question is, once that leather eventually wears out (which it should before the pipe) what does it look like under it? Will it still look like a decent pipe once the leather has worn out?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
My question is that how long will the leather last with the heat from smoking the pipe. I think that the leather would dry out.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I guess I can appreciate the attempt to honor a classic style but I'm agreement that this one is not for me. I love my briars and being able to see grain pattern, finish, rustication/blast work etc. Couldn't see myself really digging the leather.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Like all leather clad pipes, I'm pretty sure the leather is not intended to come off of the pipe (ever). Whether it's covering up a second, or fills, or blemishes, it really doesn't matter...it's a pipe style you either like or hate. It's interesting that these types of pipes are so polarizing. The leather work looks beautiful, and some of the pipes shown in the pic above looks like it was made to be a leather clad pipe (eg the pokers since they don't have an 'ugly Frankenstein seam'). I personally like the look of them, and as for upkeep, I can just imagine the leather needs a leather polish and you're good to go. Leather clad pipes are not new...and the leather clad pipes that are still around prove that the leather will probably outlast the owner. You just either like them or not. The reason I like these new iterations is because the leather is a coloured version rather than the ugly brown leather as seen in pipes from days gone by. I think the colour combinations are what you are really buying when you get these pipes, as we all know of the Savinelli QC to begin with...
Shutterbug

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm with Shutterbug that the appeal of this particular design seems to be polarizing. I like the novelty of the contrast colour stitching, and the how the seams have been laid out on these pipes. To be honest, I like the look of a leather clad pipe more than I do an enameled/painted pipe (a la the Dracula series). I don't think these will end up on my rack, as I just am too in love with grain. But I can see why they would be attractive to many.
-- Pat

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
[...]I think the colour combinations are what you are really buying when you get these pipes, as we all know of the Savinelli QC to begin with...
Maybe I misunderstood this, but do you mean to say that Savinelli has bad QC?

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@jarit:

Maybe I misunderstood this, but do you mean to say that Savinelli has bad QC?

No. What I was inferring was that we all know that Savinelli has excellent QC, it's the leather that you are buying...

Since Savinelli has their standard shaping lists, it is essentially a leather clad model with the highlight being the leather.
Shutterbug

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I personally don't like it. I like the feel of the briar and surface flaws lead to some truly awesome sandblasted or rusticated beauties out there. This feels like laziness to me me; or at the very least a gimmick.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I think they're really good looking, but I worry about heat retention (the leather preventing the briar from dissipating heat). Still, I'd be really tempted to own one of these retro pipes!
First forum member to find out who stocks them, please post!

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I HAVE to get the blue/red version to add to my Savs...... especially since it's the Red Sox team colors!!! :D :D

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Savinelli really seems to have a handle on the personalities of us pipe smokers -- I did a quick search for Savinelli leather pipes, instead stumbled on this page on Savinelli wallets: http://www.savinelli.it/en/leather-wallet-savinelli
Be sure to note the second item, under "Information Request" :rofl:

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I really like a lot of Savinelli's pipes and I really like some of the old, leather clad pipes too, such as the ones made by Jeantet, L'Aiglon, and even Savinelli's old Grand Prix series. That being said, I really don't like this new version: the baseball type stitching and haphazard seams seem Frankenpipe-ish and reminds me of a baseball-theme-decorated kid's room. What was nice about the old versions of the leather clad pipe was that they looked very traditional, with hand-sewn seams, on the top and bottom of the pipe, and running the length of the stummel, where they were less noticeable, and in classic colors like, Tan, Brown and Black. This version just seems, to me, novelty for the sake of novelty. I do like the pipe rests though...come to think of it, I don't even mind the colors or contrasting stitching. I just would like it more if they were simpler and more traditional looking. My two cents.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have one of the old 50's leather covered pipes - the oils from my hand darkened nicely the leather and also helps preserve the leather -

after 50 years the leather is still in tact but the stitching has deteriorated but the leather is so well formed around the pipe it remains in position & is still a good smoker for my new erinmore flake which is not the good old erinmore.
the old leather pipes are available on james island site http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/ not very pricey but might be fun to have one along with the good looking savinellis above

Status
Not open for further replies.