PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just got this nice little rack locally. Holds 12 pipes which is more than enough for me. It needs some tightening up but should suit my purposes just fine.
I do have some questions though. I was surprised that I had to turn some of my pipes around to get the stem to fit in there. It fits straight pipes just fine, but bent ones have to be sort of 'convinced' they go in there. Are there different racks for different pipes? (Notwithstanding churchwardens of course).
Secondly, anybody have any idea what wood it is? I wouldn't mind stripping it and staining it a lighter colour.
p_20190110_062509-600x450.jpg

p_20190110_062517-600x450.jpg

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I prefer the racks with a "slot" rather than a hole for the stem as it is much easier to take pipe of any shape in and out. However, it is also much easier to end up with your pipes on the deck if accidentally knocked.
I am no wood expert but I do have a similar looking rack which is made of Mahogany.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would agree with the above about the holes. I do like the idea of the "C" shaped openings at the top, but also like bentbob says, they're easier to be knocked out of the rack. Also, typically with a notched rack like the one above, the divot at the bottom is slightly further out in front of the notches at the top so that pipes can lay against it. Otherwise, the pipes stand almost vertically, which isn't always a big problem for straight pipes, but bents might lean or fall out if the notches at the top aren't deep enough.
As far as material goes, I almost can't imagine too many older pipe racks were made from anything other than pine and then stained. Maybe some of the more expensive racks could have been made from nicer woods, but I don't see too many of those around. Both the ones I have purchased were almost certainly made of pine and then stained.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Nice find Mike. I found a rack in antique shop once that looked as if the previous owner took a hole saw and made the holes larger. I stood there looking at and thought why? Now I know, his bents probably didn't fit. Anyway, I didn't purchase the rack because that person didn't sand, smooth or restain the bigger holes. It wasn't worth my time and effort for the price.
Where the holes were enlarged...looked like pine (a lighter wood than the stain).

I hate those closed circles racks. I prefer the open racks altogether. I am not why so many rack companies make the closed ones. They don't fit as many pipe styles as the open ones do.
I had a local guy making me these 18 pipe racks that I have mounted to my walls. He made me 5 of these racks, and then he passed away. I have thought about trying to make another one myself, as I now have mare pipes than rack space, but I don't have all of the router tables and band saws that it would require. I am probably going to hit someone up on Etsy to see if they would make me a 175 pipe rack with glass doors. That should last me a while, at least another year, maybe I should request 200 pipe places... :puffy:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Seems like most of the racks made some 40-50 years ago, which comprise nearly all of mine, were designed like yours, Mike. I do have to turn the stem around in all my bent pipes to fit. Have 1 straight billiard which can only fit if I put it in bowl up and have a few pipes whose stems are too wide for some racks. Fortunately not all racks.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Not sure about the wood, though I agree with Carolinachurchwarden that the most likely source would be Pine. That said, any type of wood will surely benefit from a good sanding and rejuvenation. :wink:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the comments guys. If I am honest, the only pipe that doesn't fit in there is one I have for sale anyway, so its not that big of a deal breaker. Pipe racks are so few and far between up here that I really can't get too picky.
The next order of business for it is to sand it all down and get a lighter stain I think, or at the very least clean it up and see how it looks.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If you are going to refinish it take it apart. While you have it apart get yourself a hole saw bit about 1/2 the size of the current holes and take out the front of those holes.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If you are going to refinish it take it apart. While you have it apart get yourself a hole saw bit about 1/2 the size of the current holes and take out the front of those holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.