PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
The only way a manufacturer would be permitted to use a flavor in its tobacco product would be if the FDA determined that a flavor would be appropriate for the “protection of public health.”
Guess we'll be seeing Captain Black Kale shortly?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Online makes pipe smoking easy. The more limited online sales are, the more limited pipe smoking will be, even from its present level, the fewer people will struggle to smoke pipes. It would then become necessary to make buying trips to B&M's to buy tubs, for economy, of whatever was left on the market. Focus on flavored pipe tobaccos, prohibiting them, would restrict or eliminate 95% of the pipe tobacco market that supports the rest of the non-aromatic production. Limited availability and high prices would encourage us to smoke less and less, a bowl or two a day, and then every other day, and then twice a week, and so on. Seems like this would reduce pipe smoking by a half in short order, just the inconvenience, and the lack of blends and accessibility would make the market dwindle slowly away, or down to a hardcore of occasional smokers who mostly would grow their own leaf.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
I started smoking a pipe 10 yrs ago and was always told cellar wide and cellar deep. Glad I listened to those wily old pipe guys!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Just ordered ~15 lbs of my favorite blends. (15 pounds total, not 15 of each blend. Drool...)
Real tired of nanny government. Was Orwell a prophet? It appears so...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Orwell might have synthesised into novel form the very prophetic analysis of Oswald Spengler's Decline of the West.
We appear to have reached the winter stage in which the government becomes tyranical and democracy is replaced by caesarism.

Mar 1, 2014
Again, glad to see they’re hitting the Vape industry hard, we really just need some exemptions for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco.
Addiction becomes a widespread problem when products are readily available and immediately accessible. Pipe Smoking has a steep learning curve and I seriously doubt that even a full de-regulation of Pipe Tobacco would lead to an epidemic of pipesmoking youth.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I don't understand why everyone doesn't just quit smoking. :puffy:
Okay, I’m a native English speaker, but I’m not sure I understand this sentence. I got the “I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t just,” but the last two words? I looked them up but can’t imagine how they go together in a sentence. I’m flummoxed. Quit. And then smoking? Why... how... okay, so... no. I don’t understand.
:-D

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
No Kansans on the House committee for that bill, so e-mailed my congressman re it for all the good it would do. Til 2 years ago he was a practicing OB/GYN and it seems most MD's don't have a nuanced understanding of types of tobacco use. Nevertheless, pointed out that, if the chief intent of this legislation was to reduce the odds of youth getting a hold of vaping materials, it was over-kill to ban online sales of pipe tobacco too which there is little to no use of among youth.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Guess I'll take up marijuana...now that's OK here. Kids never smoke that. I'd like to invite y'all to a tea party, but I'll be, that's not a 'right'.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
It was mentioned here previously, but in Canada, especially in Nova Scotia, there is no longer any flavored tobacco. I tried to buy some Amphora, and found it was on the banned list. Very limited selection. I am using online suppliers currently as a pouch of tobacco is almost 40.00 at my local B&M. The last time I ordered from Smoking Pipes however the duty came to over a hundred dollars, so not much difference.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Not a big deal to me, not gonna lie. I am so over tobacco at this point trying to live healthy and go out more instead.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Since the bill bans all non-face-to-face sales of tobacco, even phone and mail order would be banned. While this would increase prices dramatically for most of us due to state excise taxes, the biggest hit would be to availability. Yes, many shops might increase their inventory beyond the jars on the counter, but with so many blends available, even in a good shop only a tiny fraction of the options would be offered. Inevitably, this would doom a number of brands which fail to get shelf space.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of my MD Congressmemm is on this committee, John Sarbanes. I sent him this email, which will be read by a staffer and ignored.
Please do not support this act. We have enough laws protecting minors that most jurisdictions choose not to enforce. Don't create policy that hampers adults from ordering these products. I'm a tobacco pipe smoker. Maryland tax laws on tobacco products have caused long time pipe shops, like Faders, Baltimore and "The Smoke Shop, Annapolis" to close their doors. Mail ordering pipe tobacco is my only recourse. I'd rather spend my money at a Maryland location, but the recent tax law changes have made that impossible. Lets please focus our legislative time on more productive measures.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.