PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickt71

Lurker
Sep 2, 2015
I just got my first pipe and I really don't know. I have been a cigar smoker for years. I got a 5" Nirvana Tobacco Pipe from Amazon. I got 2 kinds of pipe tobacco from a glass jar at a tobacco store peach and apple. Tried both and I'm sorry but both suck I think it was the tobacco but I don't know please help. The pipe seams to be plastic with some sort of insert in the chamber. i have pictures of the pipe but don't know how to post them here.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
it's most likely a filter. If you have been smoking cigars for years as I did, stay away from the candy "aromatic" tobacco's. The peach, cherry, etc for the time being. Stick with Latakia or Virginia blends. Some Dunhill My Mixture 965, Early Morning Pipe,Frog Morton Cellar, 10 to Midnight, G.L. Pease Gaslight. Do a search on the forums for "cigar blends" or similar to cigars. ask you tobacco store guy for better stuff that aromatics for sure. I like SOME aromatics now, but they have to be a little more sublte like a 1-Q, still pretty aromatic but not overpowering.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
First of all, welcome. This is a great forum and there are many who can give good advice and help to answer questions for you.
Second, the transition from cigar to pipe can take some time. Pipe smoking is different and there is a bit of a learning curve. Many here have made such a transition, and some of us enjoy both pipes and cigars.
I'm not familiar with the pipe you mention, but from the photos on Amazon . . . it doesn't look promising. Understandably, you don't want to dump hundreds of dollars into a pipe when you are just starting and not sure if you will like it. The most often recommended inexpensive pipes are Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes. They smoke great and can be had for about $10. Many of us have cobs and smoke them regularly, even those who have very expensive pipes as well.
There are two basic kinds of tobacco blends: aromatic and non-aromatic. Aromatic blends are blends that smell like something else -- apple, peach, vanilla . . . Non-aromatic blends lack the topping that gives rise to these aromas and you generally get more tobacco flavor from them. Aromatics are far more popular, but not on this site. I smoke both, but lean towards non-aromatic blends.
Since you are a cigar smoker, my guess is that you would prefer a non-aromatic blend. You might want to try a non-aromatic blend that contains some latakia. Latakia is a smokey, strong tobacco and blends that contain latakia are sometimes called "English" blends, though the nomenclature sometimes causes debates. Your local shop may have other jars of tobacco and you should be able to get a small sample of one or another "English" blend. In the jar, the apple and peach and vanilla smell nice (and they smell nice to others when you are smoking) and the other blends won't smell nearly as good. The great disappointment with aromatics is that they don't taste like they smell. Latakia blends will smell like barbecue or a camp fire. They won't taste like a cigar, but might scratch some of the same itch. And, those around you will not appreciate your pipe any more than they do your cigar.
By the way, the stuff in jars at the shop generally come from one of a handful of blenders who sell "bulk" tobacco. It is often decent, if not downright good, tobacco, so they may have some pretty good non-aromatic blends to try. Alternatively, you can get one or a couple of tins of tobacco to try. Peterson Old Dublin is excellent, as is Dunhill London Mix or Dunhill MM965, or G.L. Pease Westminster. One of those, and I'm sure you'll get dozens of other recommendations, might give you more true tobacco taste and be more satisfying to you.
There is some technique to the pipe -- more than is the case with a cigar. Packing is important for a good burn and that takes some practice and experimenting. Good packing, in some ways, is like good construction in a cigar. It is the foundation of a decent smoke. The difference is that you are in charge of packing (and packing a pipe is a lot easier than rolling a cigar). It is also important not to puff to hard on a pipe. Take your time, you'll have a more enjoyable and better tasting smoke.
Get a cob, or an inexpensive briar pipe. Plastic is not likely to ever give a good smoke. Get a non-aromatic tobacco or two: something that smells like tobacco instead of apples or peaches.

Mar 1, 2014
Latakia is something you must try, even if you have to just light it on fire in the tin in front of your face.

Seriously don't do that.
Do get a Missouri Meerschaum Cob http://corncobpipe.com/
And some good Latakia. Lots of people love 965, I'm partial to Cornell & Diehl Star of the East (available in bulk or flake).

rickt71

Lurker
Sep 2, 2015
Okay guys here's some more info I have added some photos to my profile. I also smoke cigarettes but my cigars are usually Titans Rum, vanilla or chocolate i like the flavor of these. The pipe tobacco i got tastes like plastic it just has a weird flavor I even tried it with a soda can (I know) but just wanted to see if it was the pipe or the tobacco, its the tobacco both flavors had the same flavor just nasty. Its very moist and dark. Thank you for the info it will be helpful I'm sure.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you're not having good luck with the pipe. I couldn't find the pictures on your profile, but I did look up the pipe on Amazon. It does look like a pipe I repaired for a coworker. If it is, then it is plastic with a metal bowl in it. His had a phillips screw in the center with three or four holes around it. Not sure how they smoke, but I wouldn't want the try it. As far as a can that would be a waste and give you still a false taste due to the ink and metal.
I agree with the cob purchase to get started. Let the tobacco set out for a while to dry some, aro's are more moist usually. I've tried members mark chocolate and really enjoyed it (shun me if you will), and it can be a bit moist. The main thing to remember is its not cigars, and definitely not anything like cigarettes so don't be expecting those types of taste. Pipe smoking isn't for everyone, but I hope you have better luck next time with a bowlful. Let us know how it goes.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Short answer: Buy a corn cob pipe(s). Ditch the plastic pipes, and try a sampler tobacco pack. A lot of B&M bulk aromatics are pretty bad.

rickt71

Lurker
Sep 2, 2015
Okay took ya'lls advise and got a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe today and as luck would have it in my town the local tobacco dealer really don't have crap. So my new question is where is the best place to buy tobacco on-line?
I would also like to thank everyone for there help and understanding in this matter.

elguapo

Lurker
Aug 31, 2015
I order tobacco from http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ quite a bit, never had an issue with them. Lots to choose from.

Mar 1, 2014
4noggins.com and Smokingpipes.com are both forum sponsors and amazing retailers. I've had nothing but positive experiences with each.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
You will be astounded at how much you like the better tobacco.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I recommend you forget about your bad experience. I am a cigar smoker as well and pipe smoking is not what you described!
I can only recommend that you go to a place like 4noggins, get yourself a corn cob pipe (Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman straight is a good choice) and get 2 ounces of the 4noggins bulk blend called "Bread Loaf". It is the closest thing from cigars I have smoked in a pipe and it will open up your horizon to the world of quality pipe tobacco. It is also very easy to smoke because it doesn't require much attention, burns easy, dry and clean. I recommend a corn cob because they are very forgiving compared to briars. They are easy to smoke, don't gurgle and they are cheap.
Only my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.