PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric

Lurker
Feb 4, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm Eric and I'm 42 and live in Virginia. I smoked cigars for a couple of years and have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco so I finally bought one at a nearby Havana Connection. I also bought an ounce of vanilla and an ounce of cherry cavendish. I don't know who makes it since they were in jars with handmade labels.
I've only smoked it a few times and I seem to have made every rookie mistake there is. I packed it way too tight so it kept going out. Each time after I would pack it much looser and that helped but I still have trouble keeping it lit. I'm guessing the tobacco is too moist? If so, how to I fix that. The tobacco is still in the ziplock bags that I bought them in. Do I just wait for a while before trying them again or should I open the bag every now and then to let the moisture out?
Any help is much appreciated.

Jul 12, 2011
Pinch out a bowl or two you plan to smoke, place out on a paper-plate (whatever)

and let it dry for a few hours...do the pinch-test on it so see if it is still too wet, when pinched,

it should be springy and fall apart easily, if it still stays clumped together, it is

still to moist to smoke...I find Aros need extra dry time....
I have a home-blend I'm letting dry as I type this: Brazilian black cav,

1-Q and some butternut burley...oh the delight when it is ready :)

but must wait for it, otherwise if too wet it will steam and be muted in flavor

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Welcome to the forum/ hobby/ lifestyle! I think that smokingdragon pretty much covered drying. You should keep your tobacco in a bag or something so it doesn't dry out too much. You may want to buy some mason jars, because the are a much better storage solution in the long run. Especially when TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) kicks in and you have more tobacco than you know what to do with.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
A more experianced pipe smoker once told me he packs a bowl before bed. Then leaves it for the next day. Works very well for the first bowl of the day.
It took me a while to get some techniques down. I packed to tight and did not dry aro's enough also. I smoked to fast and that made the pipe gurgle and smoke hot. After figuring out what I was doing my enjoyment increased ten fold. I have to say this site and the kind gents here helped me quite a bit with my learning curve. With that said, welcome and a virtual high five to Kevin for creating the site.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
yup. welcome mate. pack. light . puff. ull git the hang of er in time. lots of mistakes to make and learn from. why, just think. in prob. no more than 10-20 years ull start to git the hang of it. lololol. Part of the joy of piping is lessons learned!!!!!!! Most aro's, i jar em an leave the cover loose for at least a week. but thats just me

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just a little FYI

A more experianced pipe smoker once told me he packs a bowl before bed. Then leaves it for the next day. Works very well for the first bowl of the day.

That is one aspect of the Acronym... DGT or Delayed Gratification Technique...

I highly recommend it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's been rainy here in San Antonio, Texas lately so I am no longer able to just put my tobacco on a paper plate and let it dry. Because there's no way in hell it will; too much moisture in the air.
So when things like these happen you have to get creative. Some fellas lay out their tobacco and put it under a warm desk lamp. Great idea, just make sure it is warm and not hot.
Seeing as I dont have a desk lamp I'm tinkering with the idea of putting the oven on the lowest setting possible and letting the tobacco rest in there for half an hour. Just hot enough so it's an unfriendly environment for moisture. Again not hot.
I'm in the process of getting a nice little desk lamp. Seems to be the best/cheapest/easiest option.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome to pipe smoking and the forum.One good thing about this place is you have good folks here who encourage and help other folks who want to know the best way to enjoy pipe smoking.Keep trying things until you find what works for you.I don't think we ever stop learning about pipes and tobacco.The best part is we get so much enjoyment while we're doing so.

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
I am still a fairly new pipe smoker and one thing I have learned is it just takes time and practice. You will learn lots of good information on this forum. You have the very knowledge of experienced pipe smokers at your hand, so learn all you can! Enjoy your pipe!

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Eric, where are you in Virginia? I live in the southwest part of the state near Virginia Tech, there are two really good shops down here that could help you out. From the post above I gather that you are in NOVA. Go to Shelly's back room in DC and look for other pipe smokers. Nice place, and you can smoke while you drink or after you eat. Also try George Town tobacco, some decent people there as well, although they seem to be more friendly if you look like you are going to drop some cash. Welcome to the forum!

eric

Lurker
Feb 4, 2012
I want to thank everyone for the tips. For the last week I've been drying out my aromatic tobacco and it has helped. I've worked on not packing so tight and trying to slow down while smoking.
I've tried some different vanillas, a buttered rum and two types of cherry and haven't been impressed. They haven't had hardly any flavor and not much aroma. I tried a sweet vanilla this morning and it wasn't too bad. I tasted it more for 2 hours after than when I was smoking it.
Well I just tried some Lane 1Q after dinner a bit ago and I loved it! I don't think it needed it but I dried it all afternoon on a paper towel. It was easy to light and keep lit. I just sat back on the balcony, relaxed and enjoyed it. It had a great aroma and it tasted great. Can some tell me if 1Q is an aromatic or not? I have some extra cash from teaching this weekend so I want to place another small order and I would like to try some non-aromatics. Any popular ones I should look into?
Thanks in advance. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.