PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What a great, original layout. Looks fantastic for lunting.

When they’re ready, how would one go about buying one?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Looks like I have to get working on that Etsy shop of my own and then talk to Kevin about sponsorship, ASAP. I do have other piping-related leather goods ideas.

Reactions: didimauw

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looks like I have to get working on that Etsy shop of my own and then talk to Kevin about sponsorship, ASAP. I do have other piping-related leather goods ideas.
Good he understands the rules here! Sounds like we won't have to imprison him after all...

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
Hmm, possibly.

Yes, I intended for a Zippo to fit as I wanted to give people options. The ony downside is that the Kiribi and other slimmer and taller lighters don't have a tight fit, but I don't think people are gonna be mountain climbing with the thing. ?

Yes, of course! ?

Yes, sir!

Did you buy it on Etsy or from a place like SPC?
I did buy it on Etsy but it came from InkitLeather - 2 pipe leather roll. had a lot of problems getting it delivered. The first one they made never arrived and had to wait for them to make a second one. Took about 2 months to finally get it in.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Comments, suggestions, and critique are welcome, before I move on to production (as I was taking the photos I already took note of a few things that need to be changed, but I can't see everything).

Beautifully done, olkofri. Belt pouches are extremely convenient and your design is obviously well thought out. Would you ever consider creating a larger version for several pipes?

Reactions: Bowie and olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Beautifully done, olkofri. Belt pouches are extremely convenient and your design is obviously well thought out. Would you ever consider creating a larger version for several pipes?
Absolutely. I've actually a sketch of one for 'travel' that should take a few. I'm not a fan of the roll-up design, though if that's what the audience wants I can make them. I'm more inclined to boxes for some reason. One of the main challenges when designing multi-pipe containers is the variety of pipe shapes, and not knowing what the end user will end up throwing in. I'm also thinking a multi-pipe pouch would probably be too big to be carried on the belt, but then again, soldiers have carried larger pouches, methinks. ?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I'm not a fan of the roll-up design, though if that's what the audience wants I can make them. I'm more inclined to boxes for some reason.

I'm inclined to agree with you. The roll up design we typically see in most multi-pipe pouches is sloppy and offers very minimal protection for what most of us invest hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in. Not sure if it would complicate your process too much, but you could offer pouches for different size groups- like featherweights, groups 3-5 and a biggun' for groups 6+.

I'm also thinking a multi-pipe pouch would probably be too big to be carried on the belt, but then again, soldiers have carried larger pouches, methinks. ?

I've got a couple larger box-design belt pouches made from latigo and I don't find them to be too cumbersome.

Reactions: olkofri

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Very nice ideas, Supperthyme! So, latigo. Mind telling me the weight (thickness) of those?
8-12oz is the most common weight class you'll find latigo in. It's incredibly durable- often used in belts, dog collars and saddle straps. One pouch I have has withstood almost daily use since I received it 11 years ago and I think it's holding up brilliantly with nearly no maintenance.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
8-12oz is the most common weight class you'll find latigo in. It's incredibly durable- often used in belts, dog collars and saddle straps. One pouch I have has withstood almost daily use since I received it 11 years ago and I think it's holding up brilliantly with nearly no maintenance.

View attachment 8074
Why, that's a very nifty piece there! Very Norse Urnes/Jelling-like style tooling, I didn't know latigo could tool so well. Grr, now I need to get me a swivel knife, LOL. I was considering using 5-7 oz for pouches, but if 9-10 oz works then now I have something I can use the shoulder portion of the sides of English bridle now. ?

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pic. ?

Reactions: supperthyme

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
I didn't know latigo could tool so well. Grr, now I need to get me a swivel knife, LOL.

Have you dabbled in tooling? There's a huge market for tooled leather goods and a talented person like yourself could make a fair bit of money.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Have you dabbled in tooling? There's a huge market for tooled leather goods and a talented person like yourself could make a fair bit of money.
Not really. I want to, but with a tight budget I've been buying other tools. You've a good point, though. I had been thinking of exploring designs that break away from the floral, Al Stohlman-like, style of tooling. If you can trace a Norse design onto leather and carve it, why not a lunar landscape, LOL?

Well, looks like I need to head over to goodsjapan.com and get me a swivel knife. ?

Another thing I've tried to do is to gauge the market. You know, up to how much people are willing to pay for leather goods. I haven't exactly priced the pouch I showcased on this thread, but it certainly won't be selling at Waldo-Mart prices. I've looked at the pouches on SPC, but most of them seem to be stitched with machine: I do all my stitching by hand—I don't have a machine. That raises the cost, of course, but I have to ask myself 'by how much?' Then again, I guess I can also make a $500 pipe pouch out of shell cordovan for the rich piper to carry his Jess Chonowitsch pipe in, haha. ?

• Love
Reactions: supperthyme
Status
Not open for further replies.