PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Well at least we can we can now smell the dried urine and puke on Bourbon Street without the offensive odor of smoke drifting in from nearby neighbor hoooods and drink crappy coffee and subpar bakery products in peace .

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
"The more laws, the less justice" Marcus Tellius Cicero - Libertarian :wink:

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Well the city council made Burbon street exempt from the law...they want the smoke to cover up the other scents....and as the law reads, you can't smoke within 5 feet of a public building entrance, bus stop, or street car stop.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Whatever the control freaks have done, I will in any event now strike New Orleans off our vacation list (coincidental that my wife and I had just agreed to add it a couple of days ago). NYC was struck off a long time ago.

As far as PA's own ban in taverns and restaurants, it has saved me about $2k a year as I just no longer spend in places I used to. I am sure everyone left working in those businesses are happier and healthier that I am not there -well, those that are still hanging on.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You know I thought LA and New Orleans was above this crap. You can't smoke but some thug can shoot you on Bourbon Street, We have lost it Gentleman, who in the hell is Governing New Orleans? This will cost them plenty unless its a bogus law and enforcers will turn their backs on infractions, another reason I stay on my farm. :crazy:

Tell me about it Bradly. An 8 year old kid can skip school all day to dance a jig on a street corner for spare change, but just don't smoke too close to a building. And, you can buy anything your heart desires no matter how illegal or taboo. Heck, you used to be able to (maybe still can) eat skull fresh monkey brains freshly killed at your table if you just ask anyone the right questions. Just don't smoke. Jeesh.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
When the County I live in passed a smoking ban in bars, the local mountain pub went out of business and has yet to be sold. This has saved me enough on Saturday night dinners to improve my tobacco cellar significantly, and increased the chance of meeting a drunk on the road as the locals now go 15 miles to the nearest pub. Great government thinking in action.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
A smoke ban in bars always sends me over the edge. It's ok to kill your liver, but your lungs are sacrosanct? And as has been previously mentioned, New Orleans has many more pressing problems than smoking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Pressing problems" are often hard to address and fraught problems with regard to reelection. Smoking regulations are easy to address as the vast majority of voters oppose smoking and being around smokers. If you are a politician and worry about reelection, go with the flow. It's easier and safer as far as one's political career is concerned.
It's a matter of getting used to the current social climate rather than wasting energy opposing it. Simply accept that there are too few of us smoking to make a change and withdraw from social activity, or accept the situation and enjoy your smoke where it is allowed.
With regard to over imbibing, most jurisdictions have laws and rules in place prohibiting serving drunks and encourage "healthy" (however that is defined)drinking. It is illegal to drink in your own car, usually illegal to be drunk in public, driving while intoxicated is proscribed, etc. Drinking is almost as heavily relegated as smoking. Liquor is as heavily taxed as tobacco, more so in some locations.
Many locales prohibit drinking in parks while allowing smoking. You can smoke in your car, but woe be to the driver with an open container in their vehicle. Imagine the restrictions on liquor if the percentage of the drinking public was as miniscule as the smoking population. If you drink and smoke you are paying a heck of a lot of moneys into the government tax coffers.
No matter your choice of vice(s), society will extract what it considers to be its due with respect to taxes. Society will further show its displeasure with your choices in any manner open to it. Getting all tense and upset over societal changes is probably counteracting the perceived relaxing benefits of pipe smoking. One has to pick their battles, and at this point in time, tobacco proponents probably can't approach the level of public support that the marijuana crowd can.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Any place that currently is listed as a cigar or tobacco type establishment is excused from this new ban, but they must have been in business since Jan 2015. So no "new" cigar / or tobacco shops may open in the city of New Orleans...what's there is there and that's it!! And the city says the will offer permit exceptions for conventions and trade groups...but that will come with a price...they want to get their share by making you purchase a permit...

Then we must patronize those Nawlin's pipe shops to keep them spinning!!!
Yeh, we've got all sorts of laws on the books here in Alabama that can never be enforced. Both sides of the fence do this to gain votes. In fact, I think that the less enforceable a law is, the more people like it, ha ha. You just can't help but break some law or other, unknowingly. Heck, I spent a week smoking my pipe everywhere I went in San Fransisco a few years ago, because I had no idea I couldn't. No one said anything to me. I think most of this is to make a splash in the news and disappear.
Heck in my county here, it is on the books as illegal to pull into a turning lane at all. But, the county can't pass and enforce laws concerning state roads. And, in my city they just passed a law saying that everyone was required to have a firearm in their home, but I know that not everyone in my neighborhood has or even wants one. Just stupid stuff.
I crack up at some of the lists of silly laws on the books.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Soon you'll be like us and buying all tobacco products in plain packing for ith ugly pictures of cancerous body parts all over the packaging and only one small area given to name the actual tobacco in the tin / pouch

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I thought Cajun Country would be different but now some Council Asshole wants this in Lafayette La, the Fat F£€K proposing it should also put snack foods on the agenda as he is grossly overweight. Now I"m overweight but I don't judge Fat people, it will never end.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I used to go to New Orleans every November for several years. I don't recall people smoking indoors in a majority of the pubs or restaurants in the French Quarter. I may be wrong, but I really don't think this will cause such a large problem since a majority of these places have outdoor gardens where smoking will probably be permitted.

I feel like I need to point out that about 99% of the people smoking in the pubs are smoking cheap, stanky cigarettes. The smell of those things bothers the hell out of me and I also smoke cigarettes (outdoors where the smoke dissipates readily.)

I have always liked drinking and probably always will, but I have never liked smelling like a Pall Mall that I didn't even smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.