PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
The two in New Orleans that immediately come to mind are the Mayan Import locations. One is one Magazine Street, and the other location is out in Metairie.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Tinder Box in Metarie, moved outside the mall (off Veterans) but I can't find the new address/name. Pappymac is a local, he'll probably chime in.

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
My understanding is that the Mayan Import In Metairie absorbed the Tinderbox from the mall. It's on Severn Ave., adjacent to the mall.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I was just there last month and posted a similar question in the forums...
I asked around a lot while I was there as well. A lot of cigars, but so few pipes.
There is one B+M in the heart of the French Quarter... I think it's a side street off Bourbon... the name escapes me. Super nice guys. You'll see people smoking pipes... especially around Frenchman's street--- just ask.
They had four tobaccos that one guy who appears to know what he's doing blended.
The handful of locals I met went to this place to get their tobacco. They speak very highly of it.
I was a bit ignorant. I was expecting to find all sorts of perique blends. The St. James Parish perique this proprietor used was in a huge MacBaren's bag.

... but of course it was because they haven't been producing perique for several years now.
The coolest thing I could have done was make the monthly New Orleans pipe club meeting - but there just wasn't time in the schedule. My lady wanted to go to Antoine's instead that night.
New Orleans does have some great food and there are a lot of things to do. If you like mixed drinks/cocktails, I suggest the Carousel Bar at the Monteleon. I don't even drink, yet it was impressive as &*$%$.
Even though it's a tourist mecca, you really do get a chance to meet some great locals and feel like you are in a smallish, welcoming city.
Wear comfortable shoes, and expect those shoes to get unsolicited compliments from strangers ;-)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Mayan Imports has 3 locations in the New Orleans area. One is on Magazine Street, the second is in the French Quarter and the third is in Metairie.

Of the three, the best pipe location is the one in Metairie.
lasttango - whomever told you "they haven't produced perique for several years now", lied to you.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
lasttango - whomever told you "they haven't produced perique for several years now", lied to you.

Frankly, I am relieved to hear that. It was one of the guys in the shop I was speaking of. I remarked on the St. James Perique being from MacBaren's and asked if you could get it anywhere locally and that's the answer it got.
Is there a place in La. that one can go to purchase perique or is it all snatched up by middlemen?
Has anyone tried Russ O's Triangle Perique blends?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If it's St. James Perique, it's grown and processed in St. James Parish.

Mark Ryan of Daughter's & Ryan own's the L.A. Poche Perique facility in St. James Parish. He supplies Perique to a large number of the big blenders including Russ. I have tried the Triangle Perique Blends but they are supposed to be made from Perique grown in different parts of St. James Parish.

Status
Not open for further replies.