PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
One of the first tins I purchased as a new piper was Mac Baren Original Choice, based on a recommendation. When I first opened the tin it was so disturbingly sweet and like over-ripe fruits, I almost gave it away. Instead, I put it in a jar figuring I'd use it as an experiment to see how it changes over time. Since then I've smoked almost all English blends, thinking aromatics were not going to be for me.
Today, after almost 8 weeks, I opened the tin to check it out, and was pretty surprised how the tin note had mellowed and became actually quite pleasant. So of course, I had to smoke a bowl and was surprised how much I liked it. And this one isn't even rated very highly on Tobacco Reviews.
The only bad part of this is, now I have to start investigating aromatics! Better check my bank account. :lol:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
mmmmm....aromatics!
With all of the different blends, casings, toppings, etc., I have a hard time distinguishing what constitutes an aromatic and what doesn't though.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, that's a bit confusing to me also. Isn't a casing added after the tobacco has been aged, whereas an aromatic flavoring is infused (if that's the right word) into the tobacco before or during the aging?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ Ouellett, a PC senior-most blender, reminded us about a year ago that well over ninety percent pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, which is why so many are offered. I started pipe smoking with aromatics bought at the Tinder Box chain, renamed Lane, Sutliff, and other brand blends, and sold as house brands. When I came back to pipe smoking some years later, I started with my old supply, which had improved with age and lost most of their flavoring, and soon moved on to non-aromatics, the wonderful world of English, Balkan, Virginia, burley, and many variations. Along the way, jiminks sold me a tin of Edward G. Robinson at the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh, and select tobacco forward aros eased back into my rotation with the non-aromatics. It's how these things are blended, not whether flavored or not.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Now, ain't you happy you held onto it? :D
One thing I've learnt is not to judge a blend by its tin note. I've noticed that when you take toby out of the metal container and jar it, it's not uncommon for its scent to change (not always for the better: I prefer how Sillem's Schwarz smells in the tin than in the glass, but ah well), even in a matter of a day or so.
I still prefer aromatics to Englishes, but I'd stay away from those that leave a chemical after-taste (I'm looking at you, BCA).

techie

Jul 20, 2018
When you write "BCA" are you referring to the Lane Limited BCA? I have that one on my wishlist so maybe I should hold off on it for now. I'm guessing that one of the premier aromatics to try is Lane's 1-Q?

Jan 8, 2013
I know it's certainly up for debate. But I characterize an aromatic as follows... if it smells like a desert and I'm tempted to eat it with a fork, it's an aromatic.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Well, maybe with my eyes closed I might be tempted to eat what I'm smellin' but if I actually look at the stuff I'm not too inclined to stick a wad in my mouth.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I keep stubbornly referring to myself as a non-aro smoker.
That said, I've been enjoying Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake (some coconut like thing in there), also Black Frigate, PS Luxury Navy Flake and a few others treated with rum. I'm also enjoying several "Lakeland" style tobaccos and got along OK with Peterson Irish Whisky.
I still avoid most things classified as aro's, but an trying to be open minded on the matter. I doubt I'll be dropping the grape or cherry into my cart any time soon, though.
jay-roger.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When you write "BCA" are you referring to the Lane Limited BCA?

Yes. It smells nice (tin note) and its taste upon puffing is nice, but it immediately evaporates and leaves a chemical after-taste. In my book, Lane's BCA stands for Bad Chemical Aftertaste. Feel free to try it, but there are far better aromatics out there.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That said, I've been enjoying Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake (some coconut like thing in there), also Black Frigate, PS Luxury Navy Flake and a few others treated with rum.
You're in the clear, none of those are aros.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local pipe shop proprietor amazed me by quietly asserting that Granger is aromaic, flavor-added. This codger over-the-counter blend of rough cut Kentucky leaf? But if you smoke it attentively, sure enough, there's a casing or topping, but it is subtle. Does the sugar that's sometimes added count? It does get metaphysical. I'd flip a coin on the rum in blends with "Navy" in the name. Maybe it's just spilled by the swabbies stirring the leaf with their hands.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It amazes me that people want to smoke vanilla, or fudge or whatever. I used to work with a man who shared my love of hand-rolling tobacco, but he always seems to pull out yet another concoction.

"What's it today?"

"Eer, Pineapple Dream"

Gaaargh!
Mind you, when I was just starting out in the mid 80s, I literally choose my tobacco from the picture on the packet!

Holland House? That seems sophisticated.

Actually it wasn't bad, although I have no memory of what it actually tasted like.
I know each to his own and all that, but for me, at least for the last 12 years, no aromatics please. I know Condor, 1792 etc are technically aromatics, but I don't think we would describe them as such. I think I tried a Gawith blend with a chocolate casing once. Is that right?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
if it smells like a desert and I'm tempted to eat it with a fork, it's an aromatic.
When I open my jar of Molto Dolce...I want to jump in with a fork. I love it!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
My own working definition for what constitutes an aromatic. vs. a cased/topped/flavored non-aro is that in an aromatic tobacco, you're supposed to taste the added flavor as a co-equal with the tobacco taste (example: 1-Q has a very vanilla forward taste. I like it quite a bit, but it's certainly an aromatic), while a non-aro can have added flavorings/toppings/casings/whatever, but it's not designed to vie for your attention with the taste of the tobacco (example:LNF. I can taste the added flavor, but what I mainly taste is tobacco).

Status
Not open for further replies.