PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
While looking around an antique store I came across an unsmoked Medico “Crest” bulldog, still with the “bite-proof” sticker on the bit, $10. Couldn’t pass that price up! I have no idea on the vintage, I suspect it’s not terribly old. From what little information I could find the Crest line was produced from ‘65 to ‘93 and reintroduced in ‘05. I suspect it’s from the original line but have no way to say for sure. I’m still debating whether to smoke it or just put it on the shelf, I do like that sticker on the bit!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice catch! I think Medico is still made, but not very many. This is a first rate example.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
The very first pipe I bought was actually a Medico, a Brylon, it didn’t take me long to chuck that one! This one, however, seems like it would be a bit better. I may get around to giving it a go here at some point once curiosity gets the better of me.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Uh-oh, Bill, did Medico go under? What aren't you saying?
Not that I know of, Tom. Might still be around. I'm just channeling back to that experience with one as my first pipe back 50+ ago -- I couldn't've made a worse choice if I'd *tried*. :) If another Medico ever touches my lips I won't be in a position to care. }:) I can't say anything good at all about them, so "I'm not saying a word." :)
B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Footnote on the above post mentioning Brylon: A few of those old factory pipe brands did pipes in Brylon, a wood composite synthetic from the 1960's. They were made until just recently in NY or Jersey. They sold for $15 or $20, were heavy, and smoked hot, and probably discouraged many customers from continuing with pipes. However a few Forums member found them good for specialized purposes, as one who did fire reclamation work and found them durable and cleanable for working in dusty, gritty work situations, since they could be cleaned off with a garden hose, so to speak. My low-end pipe purchases made Brylon faintly tempting, but I always thought better of it.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, me too. I've never been in position to have to suffer those things. I did buy one "the Pipe" in college, just for the heck of it for my collection at that point. But that's different, & *only* one. }:)

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Nice little bulldog. I actually like the Medico briars, my most smoked pipe is a small 1/4 bent Medico bulldog that is a similar shape to that pipe. Smokes much better than my Savinelli and Peterson Bulldogs. Good find!

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
20180827_165724-600x450.jpg

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
That’s a neat bent dog as well. The squat bulldog is one of my favorite shapes, just pure luck for me that’s what it happened to be. It occurred to me I’ve been looking for a pipe to smoke 1792 in since I only smoke it on occasion and don’t want it ghosting my other pipes, and here one is, I think I’ll have to give it a try and see how it goes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As long as you stay with the briar pipes, some of those old factory pipes aren't bad -- Medico, Yello-Bole, Kaywoodie's low-enders. They remind me, in terms of design, of the 1950's American cars, crowd-pleasers, a little show-off, but with time quite unique and beautiful in their industrial design. Some of those old AMC cars that used to make me cringe now make my heart sing with nostalgia when I seem them at classic car auctions. And Studebakers and such. Studebaker made a popular electric car in the 1920's -- eat your heart out Elon Musk. So, back to pipes, that's one mighty fine Medico bulldog.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
A little off topic, but I think the 1953/4/5 Studebaker Hawks are still one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I had the chance to buy one in 1960 and passed it up. Didn't have $500. It would have been a good investment.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I’m currently about halfway through a bowl of 1792 in this pipe, gotta say, not bad at all. No gurgle, not hot, and only a little sharpness which I’d attribute to the fact it’s unsmoked. The draw is really open and upon investigating the filter cavity in the stem I see that Medico tapered the opening so there’s no sharp edges where the diameter reduces, so at least should minimize condensation problems from not smoking with a filter.
I agree with you mso489, it is just a classic design and like those classic cars it never really goes out of style.
A guy could do a lot worse for 10 bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.