PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hello,
My name is Mark from Ontario Canada and I by chance found this site and it reminded me of my grandfather sitting in his favourite chair smoking his pipe.

I smoked cigarettes years and years ago (can't stand the smell of them now) and now I want to start smoking a pipe.

So after a bit of research I ordered a pipe starter kit from 4noggins.com and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

I am looking forward to relaxing with a pipe and a favourite LP playing on my vintage stereo equipment.
Lots to read and learn on here. I am just going through SmokeRingsPipeDreams' "How to Smoke a Pipe" YouTube videos.
Mark

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the Forum, wolfe. There's a lot of experience here so don't hesitate to ask questions or post your thoughts. It's a friendly crew and we're anxious to help another brother of the briar.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome Mark! Hopefully you'll enjoy your time here, learn some stuff, and have fun. But mostly you'll probably become like most of us, addicts! Not like cigarette smokers, but addicted to buying pipes and tobacco... :roll:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome aboard, as stated above there's tons of good information here and there's no such thing as a dumb question. Glad to hear you are done with cigs, pipe smoking is all about enjoyment and taste and you'll get plenty of both if you plod through the early parts of the learning curve.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Welcome Mark ..Many years ago when I lived in Michigan I visited Ontario several times.It's a beautiful place,but it sure is cold in winter.Stick around you'll like it here.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thank you for the welcomes.

I didn't realize that pipe smoking was such an art, it is really intriguing me to get started.

I haven't smoked cigarettes for, I think it is about 17 years now. I was fortunate enough to be able to quit cold turkey with no cravings for them.

Every once and a while I'll buy a pack of Captain Blacks and smoke'em, then I can go for as long as I want or like before I get another pack. Come to think of it, I haven't had one for about 15 months now.

With the high price of tobacco here in Ontario, you can't afford to smoke too often.
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I am still waiting for my starter kit to arrive, tracking # says it's in Canada now.

There is so much information on this site that my head is spinning.lol

I have already purchased 2 pipes from a seller on Ebay. On both pipes the stems won't come out(seller indicated this).

Really looking forward to bringing these 2 pipes back to smoking condition.
That's just my nature. I love to repair things, whether it be pipes, speakers, turntables, guitars, bicycles. It's relaxing for me.
There is a quote I used over at an audio forum I belong to......"One man's broken is another man's fun" :mrgreen:
Mark

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
wolfe64- welcome! You've stumbled upon a great community and we always love new folks.
You've also stumbled upon a great hobby! It really is an art, as you've identified, and there's quite a learning curve to getting that down- almost all of us feel our initial experience was poor, but we just know there had to be "something" we were missing and the alure continues to draw us in.
Give it time and patience, and you'll be rewarded. Again, welcome!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's true that there are several Canuks on here, I guess one more can't hurt anything. Just joking of course.
As an employee at a B&M I often mention the struggle of our Canadian brothers to remind the often overly complacent US cigar and pipe smokers exactly what a "minimal" premium tobacco tax could do to the price of their favorite stick or tin. Many of these morons still don't get it when I tell them the $16 Padron they bought could've cost them $32. Some people unfortunately have more money than brains.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks again for all the welcomes!!!

With all the reading I have done since I joined this forum the term "put that in yer pipe and smoke it" has taken on a whole new meaning.

So many different pipes and tobacco to research but it's been fun so far and I wish my starter kit would get here !!!
I did go into a Tobacco and cigar store the other day while I was in Hamilton and a 1 1/2 ounce pouch was $26 plus tax. I can't remember what kind it was I was just so shocked at the price.
I am looking forward to this endeavour and really looking forward to buying old pipes and bringing them back to life.
I do the same thing with stereo equipment. I would rather buy something that is not working and get it to work.

It gives me a sense of accomplishment :puffy:
Mark

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Welcome Mark...there are tons of great strings of info on this site, and if you can't find it...please ask..we have some incredibly knowledgable members

Status
Not open for further replies.