PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
New member here! Just wanted to introduce myself. I smoked pipes some in college (crappy cherry-flavored blends given to me by a friend) and then dropped the hobby. I picked it back up about six months ago and mainly smoked Newminster VA until moseying to this forum. Boy did that blow my mind! Now my cellar is growing and my wallet is shrinking.
I am currently smoking some Quiet Nights in my Bari freehand. Also sipping on a little Charles Smith Boom Boom wine. Highly recommended.
Also, JimInks' tobacco reviews singlehandedly changed the way I thought about pipe smoking. They were a major reason I wanted to join this forum. Hope everyone is having an excellent evening.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello, Mr. Hunter! A big welcome as you're clearly on the right path! Quiet Nights is da bomb.
I also started in college, but was lucky enough to have a great mentor who got me onto Burlington Arcade, somewhat like the old Balkan Sobranie. Perhaps as a consequence when I resumed 50 years later, I smoke almost nothing but English blends.
To be sure, every newcomer is welcome, even if smoking tobacco I don't like in a pipe I wouldn't touch. (There's meant to be some humor in all that, but it's thin.....)

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
jpmcwjr: I had no idea what I was missing until I tried English blends. I'm making my way back around to VA/VaPers again. I've got some four-year-old Escudo and some Anni Kake that reminded me how good VA blends can be. But Ashton Artisan's, Quiet Nights, Penzance, Plum Pudding...quintessential in my book.

mrchicks

Lurker
Feb 27, 2017
North Alabama
Hey everyone. I was a pipe smoker 40 years ago. I gave it up to concentrate exclusively on cigarettes. I finally gave them up a few years ago. Late last year I bought a pipe that I fell in love with at the tobacconist and a new era began. 7 pipes later I have decided I'm to old to figure it all out on my own. You guys seem pretty smart (and good looking too I assume). I look forward to hearing your stories and tips.

magicbus

Lurker
Dec 1, 2016
hey kids, new member this year. living in florida. been a pipe smoker for about 20 years. leaning towards mac baren blends, and estate savinelli and grabow pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Blackadder! An all time favorite.... Welcome, magic, and mrchicks.
Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:
EB: "First Name?"

B: "I'm not sure."

EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."

B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."

EB: "Sod Off??"

B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"
- Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Did not know I were to introduce myself in a formal way. So here I am. Quit the pipe in 2005 not by choice but that is a long story that does not bear repeating. Not one to dine out on but more to share a drink and a smoke with. I spend more time outside than in, and during grad school I always had a pipe fired up to keep the mosquitoes at bay when conducting research or fishing or both. I smoke in equal amounts, English and Aros, and could really care less if that makes me a heathen. I really want to try the green version of War Horse (Bar, me thinks) just because of the name and the color green. Is there any other good reason needed?
What else can I bore y'all with? Unemployed but hoping to change that as I go into my hopefully final interview on Wednesday. Scientist geekish type redneck Italian-American that enjoys fishing only slightly more than hunting. Married much younger the 2nd time around...did I mention I am not much on common sense? :) 2 kids in college, 2 in high school, 3 in grade school...don't ask.
Thanks for putting up with my naive questions! Love the camaraderie and friendly group y'all have here.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Actually they usually require a 5000 word essay on what a pipe means to you... and they're brutal on form and grammar.

hrdya123

Lurker
Feb 27, 2017
Hey guys. New member but been a lurker for a while. First post ever, anywhere. 41 years old and not very versed in this interweb mumbo jumbo. I live in a small town called Texarkana in tx. just piked up smoking the pipe after 15 year break. I dont have access to much choice in tobacco here but recently bought a few good tins in Shrevepot, La and can't seem to stop smoking the Frog Morton. Nice to join you guys.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome newbies to the forum, and or the hobby and practice of pipe smoking.

I've been at it almost 3 years and this forum has been loads of fun, as exemplified by my post count.

Look around, read as much as you can and you'll learn things about pipes and tobacco you didn't dream possible.

Pipes and retirement go together real well, especially when enhanced by any sort of camaraderie.

Enjoy the journey and many happy bowls to all of you!

Mike.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
FNGs:
Welcome!
I joined 12/11 after months of lurking and this site quickly became a favorite.
Please remember that the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. You might get teased but the ball breaking is good natured and there's never any malice unless you establish yourself as a complete douchenozzle.
Use the back channel comms - Private Messages - to drill down on points of interest and you will make friends here. And if a Moderator ever sends a "check your roll" message then cowboy up and apologize. Our Mods are unpaid volunteers who also happen to be wizard smart and well worth getting to know.
Enjoy this forum. You can learn a ton here.
Fnord

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
For a dying hobby marked for execution by the FDA and a scorned behavior in our modern society, there sure do seem to be a lot of newcomers trying pipes out or at least coming back to them! And more, better tasty blends than ever.

sundog

Lurker
Mar 3, 2017
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have been reading posts for a couple of weeks and decided to jump in. Most of my questions have been asked and answered in older posts. I enjoy a pipe maybe once a day. These days a little more because of rehab from surgery on my thumb. So to past the time I cleaned up my old briars and found two Missouri Cobs at a local store. I have a picture if I can figure how to get it on here. Till next time.

owl76

Lurker
Mar 12, 2017
Hello fine folks, new member intro attempt. I've been enjoying pipes and pipe tobacco for about five years. I'm still exploring various tobaccos but seem to enjoy every damn one of them! Florida born, moved to Mississippi in 08 for work, I enjoy one or two pipes a day and rotate between my small collection of 12 pipes, mostly briars. Currently I've been enjoying Drew Estate Grand Central, Exhausted Rooster and 4noggins Owls Blend, to name a few. But I look forward to reading and learning more from everyone here, good stuff here!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tried to fish out image in post above, but ..... http://s2.postimg.cc/e63jymi05/welcome.gif- it's just not loading at all right now... Nor is postimg.cc.

countybear

Lurker
Mar 13, 2017
Greetings all!
New member from the great State of Louisiana, USA, (right next door to the birthplace of Perique).
I smoked pipes quite a bit years ago, when I had a local Tinder Box and a good friend to mix bulks for me just so, but as years flew by, cigarettes took over and my pipes were relegated to nights with blue moons or infrequent weekends. I've since quit the nails, and am now embracing my pipes again, and what a homecoming it is!
I look forward to learning from you, and reading your commentaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.