PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I bought a Hardcastle's pipe, (made in London) awhile ago at the local tobacconist and have really enjoyed how it smokes. I have heard that this is a secondary brand to Dunhill and I've found them to be nice pipes within my current budget. Since then I've been scouring ebay for this brand, and I've notice that they sell for a lot when listed as Dunhill related. I recently bought a lot of 3 pipes listed and "Hardcastle's by Lane" which I was able to win for around $80.
image_zpsc648ea6c.jpg

In the picture from top to bottom are: Hardcastle Extra, Hardcastle De Luxe, a French basket pipe (the seller threw this in free) and a Hardcastle Select. All are unsmoked and I am getting ready for an inaugural smoke of the black De Luxe with a bowl of GLP Gaslight. I think I will set aside the Extra (with the light stem) for smoking Virginias, the rest will be in my regular English/Balkan rotation.
I'm pretty happy with the deal, another lot of 3 Hardcastle's sold yesterday for $200

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Iwan Ries had a selection of four or five Hardcastles at their site for years before someone came along

and bought the lot. They were low-key in design, with what looked like brass bands on the shanks,

military mount style. They were available for $40 for a long, long time, and apparently didn't sell all

that well. I was often tempted but never did the deal. I think they were likely excellent pipes. Iwan Ries

had a strange text that went with them that quoted some former Hardcastle owner criticizing the pipes

as sad seconds to not only Dunhills but also Parkers. I think they are a well-made mid-level pipe.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I haven't thought to check back on this thread in awhile. I'm enjoying the pipes very much, as well as my Hardcastle I bought from a B&M before this batch. The brand seems like a solid mid-range offering and the four that I have are all great smokers.
BTW, looking back at my original post now, I read it as bragging too much about price and comparing it to other auctions. At any rate I'm happy and now have a good seven day rotation. My next project will be to build a rack, the cardboard drink holder from Taco Bell just doesn't do my collection justice. :puffy:

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I have a Hardcastle Crescent rusticated bulldog that I bought new last year and have been breaking it in slowly (cobs do most of my heavy lifting and the few expensive pipes, yes mid-range is expensive to me, that I own only come out to play maybe twice a week) and I am very pleased with its progression. I will definitely purchase more in the future when I can. Good grab from the eBay. I hope you enjoy all of those pipes as much as I enjoy mine.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Oh jeez, you must have typing at the same time as me. I'm glad we reached the same conclusion and you took my well-wishing straight to heart.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Good find. I'm a big parker smoker, but I wouldn't knock a hardcastle at all. That canadian top right is a beautiful pipe, it's a shame parker doesn't do anything other than acrylic stems. I need to check ebay more.

Reactions: durham270

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
Thanks Anglesey, I've devoted that one in the upper right to VA/VAPers, (I smoke Latakia blends in the rest).

Status
Not open for further replies.