PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I know a lot of people have older GBD pipes and especially the pre-Cadogan era.

But my question here pertains to the new GBD pipes.
Who has one and what is/was your experience ?
Here is what I am considering for my March 1 PAD purchase. Yes I'm a sucker for amber stems ;-)
GBD1.jpg

GBD2.jpg

If experiences or recommendations are not that positive for the GBD's, it'll be a trusty Peterson
Pete1.jpg

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I like the look of the GBD's and would like one someday..but for now, my Peterson's are awesome. No complaints at all.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Let me clarify..
I know the Peterson will be a good pipe. I love the ones I have. But right now, the Pete is a backup plan if the feedback would be not so good on the GBD's. I have 4 Pete's already and wanted to add some other makers to the collection. Just perusing, those GBD's caught my eye.
So I'm scouring the world wide inter thingy to find more about them, but most of what I find is about the pre-Cadogan era. Very few, if any, good review of the new ones.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nsfisher.. I know ;-) it's why I'm looking at it. And some more H&H to it at 29% off ... :twisted:
I may just go ahead and click "check-out" here... and I'll be the first to write a "new era GBD review". :rofl:

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I would not buy one, that I did not personally hold and inspect. That goes for any new pipe. If I trusted a seller, and they provided detailed descriptions, and pictures I might buy one, I think Smoking Pipes does a decent job with the descriptions they provide for estates. Then again I am biased, I rarely buy new pipes from any factory. What is the price point?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I was waiting for the resident GBD expert ;-)
HnryClay: The new GBD is just below $100 and comes with a free tin of H&H right now. The Pete is about $40 more expensive, but I trust the seller that has a Pete and I've talked to him repeatedly. It's the same guy I got my Pete Royal Irish from.

The GBD's are with P&C and they have a pretty good return policy in case I don't like it.
So yes, they're expensive pipes (at least in my dictionary), hence I wanted to get some opinions.
I agree I would prefer to buy pipes I can hold, touch and inspect, but with so many pipes going over eRetailers, it's getting more and more difficult.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Don't get me wrong they look nice on the pics you have shown. The older GBDs had no fills. None. The stems were hand cut, all of the stems not just on the higher end pipes. The Virgin lines were literally perfect briar, the Prehistorics, which I prefer might not have had the best looking grain so they were given a nice even sandblast, that made them lighter, and in my opinion smoke cooler.There are a lot of GBD seconds that flood ebay from the glory days because they simply did not sell bad briar. The post merger pipes did not maintain that dedication to quality. So you might get a great pipe with little or no fills, or you might get one that has fills all over it cleverly disguised. This is not just a GBD issue, I have Petes, and Savs that suffer from fills. My gut feeling is buy the Pete if you trust the seller, maybe pick up a GBD when you can inspect it close up. I have seen very nice looking new GBDs, and I have seen utter abortions. You could not tell one from the other without a close inspection, and a pipe cleaner test.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a newer GBD prince, but it's not a great smoker. Worlds apart from my three pre-Cadogan era GBD's. I bought this from another forum member cheap ($25). For that price, I have no complaint, but wouldn't pay the $75-$100 they are asking new.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
HnryClay, I completely agree !
But I've seen this decline with all major brands. I've seen horribly drilled Petes and Savs. I also have a 1947-1949 pre-republic Pete which is a dream. OTOH, my 999 Harp smokes better with a more open draw than the Harp XL02. So even in the same brand, the same finish line, some of them are better than others.
For the price of the Pete in the picture above, I can buy the GBD and add a cheaper one to the mix. Or stock up for the cellar. Note that the list price of the GBD's above is $160, which is the same list price as that Pete. It just happens the GBD's are on sale.
Do you have any post-Cadogan GBD's ? And if so, are they, in your opinion, of lesser quality than let's say a Pete, Savinelli or Stanwell of the same price ?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The last GBD I have added is a Export 8341 and it is a good smoker . It was purchased new about two years ago . I do not know how old the stock was . All of the GBD pipes I have are good smokers . Only the prince is picky about what tobacco it likes . I say nine good pipes from one brand is a sure bet . I hope this helps .

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I do have a few, and one is nice, it is a 9438 in a smooth finish. It smokes great, but is not finished to the same degree of the pre-Cadogan pipes. I have another 9438 that gurgles like it is drowning, this one is an early 90's model. The draw is good but the tenon hole was drilled to long, moisture accumulates in the space where the stem should be flush with the tenon. I have a bent bulldog a 549 shape that smokes good but has a few fills, and not altogether pleasing lines. I did not pay more than $20.00 for any of the above pipes. Check your PM for what I would buy if I was looking. Did not want to post on the board in case anyone else might have been looking.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hnry: Got PM and responded ;-) The one I'm looking at here is a 9438 as well. About the gurgle, once again if I may compare to my Petes, my Royal Irish 999 gurgles more than my Harp 999. And it's more expensive to boot ! It's because the moisture trap on the higher end pipes is actually bigger than on the cheaper lines. But with some good dry tobacco, it's controllable and it honestly doesn't bug me all that much. Gurgle, pipe cleaner down the stem, little twist, no more gurgle ;-) And I usually only have to do it once 3/4 through the bowl.
Igloo: Thanks for that. Are all your nine Cadogan era ? Or are there some older ones in there ?
Al: That does look like one in the line I'm looking at. But I'm looking at a Rhodesian

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I dont know how old they are . All are made in England except the Gigante which was made in France . It is very hard to date GBD most I believe if not all are pre Comoys merger 1981 . Or that may be just a hopefull pipe dream . The ones I believe to be older are not as shiney and have darker stain . I have also heard both ways about dating with the stem insert logo . Expert on GBD Iam not .

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
For me: Round shank = Rhodesian
The only way I can remember but I know it's sometimes hotly debated :rofl:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Iam taking Henry with me next time I get a new pipe for a proper inspection . He sounds sounds like he knows what to look for . :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.