Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Iam taking Henry with me next time I get a new pipe for a proper inspection .
Igloo my friend I am just a poor guy stuck in middle management that has to watch his pennies...lol Honestly I really do care about quality pipes, and I do not like the way some manufacturers have cheapened the processes, although it does allow more people to buy into the hobby at a lower cost. For what it is worth fills smoke fine, they just do not look good. The same goes for ill cut stems, and sloppy takes on classic shapes. As long as the draw is good, and the briar is of good quality, which would cost more in the raw than a lot of finished pipes several manufacturers are selling now, the pipe will smoke fine. If any one is curious look at how much unfinished quality briar goes for, and ask yourself how a new pipe can be made for less than $100.00.
I'm going to get a GBD Rhodesian later on this year. I read bad reviews about the new Ben Wades and the one that I bought is a great smoker, so I would expect nothing less from the GBDs
You can find good examples I am sure of it, just make sure you have the pipe you want in your hands or deal with a retailer you trust. Again I have found Smoking Pipes individual pipe descriptions honest, and I have no affiliation with them. Most if not all current factory producers are putting out some clunkers, buyer beware. However we are very fortunate to have some of the best American carvers producing pipes that are true values, and works of art.I hold the vintage English briar close to heart, as an example of what industry could create when people strove to produce the best product, not the most profit. I you really want a good rhodesian and who would not? Then buy an estate GBD 9438. This pains me to no end, since I snatch these up every chance I get but brother to brother I will tell you I know of no finer example of this shape regardless of price in the world of pipes. Our own G.L. Pease has written an article about the pipe on his website. Just don't let the word spread around too much, if they keep going up on EBAY I will have to be content with the 10 I own, and that would be a sad day indeed.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I missed it!!! I was in Richmond on business. Whoever got it I hope enjoys it for another 50 years!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Buy one. I have about 10 GBD's and all are good smokers. At the risk of offending the Pete fans I'd take a GBD over them any day. My 3 Pete's aren't that great.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Check out this pre-Cadogan era GBD prince, styled like mine but I bet this is a far better smoker. $100, seems like a decent price given it's condition?
http://www.thepiperack.com/products/Estate-Pipe%3A-GBD-Virgin-Perspex-Prince.html
GBD1003L__95525_zoom.jpg

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
They look like nice pipes; probably as good as any Peterson or other pipe in the same price range. You should buy one and give it a try.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Well, I got suckered into it once again.... darn PAD ;-)
As I was scouring the world wide internet and the Bay of E for GBD bulldogs and rhodesians, I came across an old Charatan. it does have the text "Charatan's Make" crossed out on the shank. I'm not quite sure why, but what I was told (and Dave Neeb seems to say so as well) is that when Dunhill acquired Charatan in 1978 they crossed out the "Charatan's Make" text on the shank. Feel free to enlighten me if I got that wrong.

The seller also claims it is a Lane era Charatan, but that would not quite rhyme with the crossed out text I think.
In any case, it looks like I got myself a nice pre-Dunhill Charatan bulldog for $33. Not a GBD, but hey.. one can't control PAD :rofl:
LaneCharatanBulldog.jpg

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
That is a steal for that pipe! Congratulations, much better than a brand new pipe imo!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks

I am following a couple of GBD's out there, one a rhodesian, but with everything else I got coming, it looks like it going higher than my "allowance" this merry go round ;-)
But I've learned something valuable via this thread and am keeping my eye out. Perhaps one day I'll get a new GBD to compare.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
this is the first place i landed in this forum when searching for info about GBD pipes .

i put a bit more info in my first post in the new members thread .
i really like the looks of the GBD AUTUMN GOLD 943810 Rhodesian and the GBD CHANNEL 9438 Rhodesian

maybe one day ...
before i started taking a shine to the two pipes mentioned - i was stuck on billards and ended up getting a Graco SAFARI Billiard as my first new pipe since i started pipe smoking with a cheap no name billiard $ 35 from the local tobacconist about a year and a half ago
the safari is due to arrive in about a week - i wish it came with an amber stem

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed that new Charatan Mick, that is a beauty and I believe I was also watching it, nice grab! Old Charatans smoke equally as well as old GBD's in my experience.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
It should be home waiting for me by now. I'll let you know how it smokes. I passed on the GBD and went for the flame grain Pete this time. Perhaps next month.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
SmokingPipes.com listed a very nice GBD 9438 in Prehistoric finish. It has a replacement stem, but it appears to fit very nicely. $50 seems like a pretty good price as the pipe/stem are mint.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=94048
004-002-5708.jpg

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
If you want a smoker ^^^^^ there she is.... I am now at collector status on these, as I have a lot of them, but if you want one just to smoke this is the perfect pipe IMO.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
March PAD fund is gone with the Pete flame grain from this thread and the new BriarBird. Plus some estates and stuff. Drat......

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They have the 9438 nicely described as well. It is just a little too long to be labeled a proper nose-warmer. I call it just right. I agree with hnryclay, that will be a fine smoking pipe.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
@ Al
i like the color of that 9438 but i don't know what it is called - is that just red or burgundy ?

i ordered an unfinished pipe and i am thinking about staining it

anyone have any advice about how to get that color etc ?
thanks

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
All the PreHistorics are that color, I am smoking a Pot shape now. It is a reddish brown mahogany stain. They do not describe the color in this add http://pipepages.com/gbd11.htm but I think Mahogany describes it adequately.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
thanks hnryclay
i found this color guide and it looks like it is between the British tan and the mahogany brown

or maybe the mahogany and the medium brown

looks like you were right on

i am not color blind like my father but i definitely have some type of color cognitive disorder

i have never been able to tell if any clothing matches unless they are the same color - it doesn't make any sense to me and i am too lazy to try to remember any of it if that is what it takes
wonder how it would turn out if you mix russet with british tan - probably too light ?
http://www.riorondo.com/supplies/dyes.html
on this next one it looks like it might be a mix of red and ox blood
http://www.caning.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GRD-A2a

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've stained a pipe exactly once and I only have three Fieblings dye colors (Black, Oxblood and Med Brown), so I'm the last guy to ask. Hnryclay's reponse sounds accurate. My only Prehistoric finish GBD is more of a brown, that was the one I restained, using a lightened version of Medium brown.

This was before I restained it:

Status
Not open for further replies.