PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
thebackyshop.co.uk have the 3 new Gawith Hoggarth blends in stock, they come under The Reunion Series heading and are as follows:

Reunion Brown House Roll Cut
A combination of flue cured Virginias mixed with Mozambique dark fired tobaccos which are then spun into a twist format. The resultant finished twist is then cut into small disc ‘coins’ to produce a truly remarkable aromatic roll cake with a hint of maple

Reunion Bourbon Flake
Heat pressed flue cured Virginia’s have been mixed with bright Brazilian and dark fired black bourbon, which are then cut into ribbon strip lengths to produce this sweet and satisfying aromatic flake.

Reunion No.27 Perique Flake
A block blend of flue cured Virginias with dark cured perique, cut into ribbon lengths make this a truly unique blend. This non-aromatic blend derives spice, strength and coolness from the erique, with subtle sweetness from the Virginias.

This is exciting news as we get so little in the way of new tobaccos in the UK.

Chris.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hopefully these make their way to the US soon. If not, I may have to hop over the pond...

With Gawith increasing production for the US I would have thought they'd send some out there as well.
I like the look of them all but especially the Bourbon Flake and the No. 27 Perique Flake.
I forgot to mention they are also doing a Christmas special edition tobacco in a 100g tin, I don't know if it'll be the same as the one they did in years past (that came in a 50g tin) or something new.

Chris.

Oct 7, 2016
With the FDA regulations, it is very doubtful that we will see any new blends from overseas unless they are just reworks of existing or preexisting blends.
Could be brought in as limited editions at higher prices right now, which parts of the UK marketing hype I saw would support. More money now is the upside, but you can’t sell it after some still somewhat uncertain future date is the downside. That is a trade I would make. Friend in the UK who was a taster (there were 8 blends tested, 3 made the cut) says they will be tinned next year. Whether we get them or not I do not know.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no intention on buying any but I will be interested in what people think of these new blends. Should also be interesting to see how they keep the stuff in stock. As least we have some excitement in the industry.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Squadron Leader with perique was available prior to the deeming regs being announced (2008 Chicago Pipe Show).
The matured Virginia is the same as any other all-Virginia tobacco that SG sells, as far as the FDA is concerned.
Name changes and packaging changes are OK with the FDA.

Now, I've been out of the business side of things for a bit now, so I haven't kept up with the day-to-day machinations of the FDA, so that's my caveat!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I just wish they would keep us stocked up on their current blends! Piss on the new ones...cray

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
My understanding is that new blends can be brought in but they won’t have grandfather status when the new regs hit. For this reason these blends would have a limited shelf life in the US. G&H would probably prefer to first service markets that have a future for these blends. So these could come here it’s just less likely.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I read here (In this forum) in another thread that it takes only $3000 to certify a blend. If that is the case, new blends will continue to come.
I haven’t heard that. It’s certainly cheaper than I expected. My guess is that it’s $3000 to file the paperwork with the FDA and much more money to pay for whatever analysis is required. Also some fear that the FDA won’t actually approve anything, I have know idea what the requirements are.

Status
Not open for further replies.