PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Hello everyone just got in to pipes a few days ago been a 2 pack a day cig smoker for about 10 years trying to convert over had pipe for about 3 days and have been cig free for 2 so far so good. Looking foward to this forum seems to have very helpful people thanks

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Mike, I can't believe you didn't give him the 3-point advice like you usually do. -evyl grin-
Howdy & welcome from upstate SC, mechanic! Watch out for the occasional obvious lunatic, & anyone who bad-mouths the crew of a certain pirate ship. ;)
Bill

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Welcome. Just one thing to keep in mind just because a tobacco is rare does not mean it is good and just because something tastes good in 5 years does not mean it tastes good fresh.

Jan 8, 2013
Watch out for the occasional obvious lunatic, & anyone who bad-mouths the crew of a certain pirate ship. ;)
Aye, we'll 'ave ye keelhauled fer sure, mate. 'Til then, welcome! Pull up a chair, grab a flagon o' ale, 'n smoke yer pipe. 'tis always good t' 'ave new hands here! :clap:

hotjazzbaby

Lurker
Nov 30, 2018
Ahoy! New myself and also trying to kick a 10 year cigarette addiction. What do you like to smoke?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome to the forums Mechanic and congrats on being cigarette free for two years. :clap:

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Thanks for the warm welcome folks now if i can get usps to actually deliver a package to my correct address il be in good shape all my local bnm has is lane blends and i dont care much for 1q

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Plug tobacco seems to intrigue me for some reason. I ordered a tin of gaslight and some 1q cause it was cheap but i got a ounce of the 1q from local store to have while waiting and dont care much for it

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mechanic, best thing you ever did was transition to pipes. There is plenty of nicotine to be had and we are a much more affable group (generally).
Welcome aboard and I hope you find this place as terrific as I do.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome to the forum! 33 year ex- cig smoker here. It is very do-able.
Lots of variables with pipe, tobacco, technique and personal preference. Don't give up and the right combo will find you.
jay-roger.jpg

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Mechanic, welcome to the Forum, where you’ll find several thousand of your closest friends willing to give advice, support, and just plain, simple friendship. Herewith the advice I give to all new smokers. It really works. I’ve been smoking a pipe for 59 years, and I have a slight idea of how th3ese things work.

1. The tobacco should be drier than you think it should. Some smokers actually like it crispy dry, though that’s just a shade too much for me.

2. The tobacco should be packed much looser than you think it should. A pipe that’s packed too tightly will be hard to draw, and will yield an uncomfortable smoke.

3. The pipe should be smoked much slower than you think it should. Sip, don’t puff. This will give you a smoke where the wall of the pipe will be comfortably warm to the touch.
As to lighting methods, here they are in ascending order of temperature:

1. Beeswax impregnated string burns ~250C

2. Zippo 575 F or 301C

3. Match, 1100F or 600C

4. Butane 3590F or 1977C

Please note, a butane torch should never be used to light a pipe as it scorches the tobacco and very likely the pipe itself.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Get yourself some Prince Albert or Carter hall! Go with that in a Missouri Meerschaum Cobb pipe for a while, you'll be ok then...

Status
Not open for further replies.