PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Just got my new estate pipes! Can't wait to get restoring em!
Captain Browne, Adventurer, and a LHS

I spent 30 total for them. Hope I did ok :lol:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Looks like a great starter set, that top pipe has some nice cross grain and birdseye, looks like a good score. Have fun.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Very nice. That LHS is interesting for sure and at least 50 yrs old as the company went out of business in approx. 1961.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks guys!
I believe that both the LHS and the Captain Browne are over 50 years old.
I just alcohol cleaned out the stems and am salt treating the bowls now. I think I may have to bleach the stems to get the oxidization out though...I was hoping I would get away with not having to do that...mainly because I don't want to wet sand forever.
Any ideas on polishing the bowls without a buffer? My buddy said to just work EV olive oil into them with a rag?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I use what is called Barkeepers friend, no sanding necessary, but lots of wet scrubbing with a cotton rag. It is a powder cleaning agent in the chemicals aisle of the grocery store. It is a better option on the old smaller pipes as it won't take as much off as sandpaper.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I use what is called Barkeepers friend, no sanding necessary, but lots of wet scrubbing with a cotton rag. It is a powder cleaning agent in the chemicals aisle of the grocery store. It is a better option on the old smaller pipes as it won't take as much off as sandpaper.
Awesome! Thanks for the tip!
I am also missing a tiny bit of filler on the captain browne...not sure how Im going to pull that off yet either!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Adventurer was by Grabow for RJ Reynolds and was used in promotions during the late 1960's to about 1971-2.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Oh I will show pics after I'm done for sure, just don't expect it to look to hot, I am a novice at this and like some patina on my wares!

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
To clean the stems don't forget you can oxy clean then use a mr clean magic eraser. All you would have to do after that is give them a good polish. Thats how I clean the couple of pipes I found. They are not super shiney but they do look better. I never tried the other methods, just reading them I didn't like the idea of sanding. I don't have the obsidian oil to try either.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I'm giving the stems a Simple Green bath right now and then I'll try some magic erasers and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, guess I'll run to the store for some Oxi Clean haha.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
The Oxi Clean works GREAT. Pick up some magic erasers as well and the clean up takes very little time. I also use some 000 steel wool or you can use micro mesh pads. Do you own a buffing wheel or will you be polishing by hand?? There are many threads here to follow and one of my favorites is this one:
Pruss Project Log
Pruss is a forum member and it was THIS thread that got me into wanting to restore pipes. With that being said, here is a thread where I tried it and got LOTS of great feedback. I am now using Everclear instead of Baccardi 151 as my disinfectant:
My resto project
Good luck and definitely post pics of your progress. We have a saying here, "If there are no pics it didn't happen". I for one love to watch a pipe go from something someone didn't much care for to something spectacular.
Dan

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I do not own a buffing wheel, so I will be finishing the stem and bowl by had unfortunately...haha.
I love history and I love making a relic relevant again, so that is why I have decided to go all out on restoring estates.
I will look at the threads you posted for tips for sure! I am a isopropyl guy myself. Cheaper and I have taken enough organic chemistry classes to know that once it is fully evaporated there are no negative effects whatsoever regarding toxins.
I will be posting pictures for sure, but like I have already stated, I like some patina and character in everything I own, so don't expect perfection community! haha

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Just finished up the stems and the simple green bath followed up by magic erasers worked pretty well. Also un-salted the pipe bowls.
Couple of oopsies...I guess I didn't have enough pipe cleaner in the Captain Browne...so some of the alcohol dripped down the shank and took a bit of the finish off the bottom :( Good thing the finish doesn't effect the smoking of the pipe...haha

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I think today I am going to hit up a wood working shop for some micro mesh sanding paper to polish the stems.
After that just some spit shine on the bowls and I am ready to smoke em!
Eventually I may completely strip he one that has alcohol drip stains and refinish the whole thing...we will see.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for that picture of the salt treatment in action. I've only read about it never seen or done it. You can see it drawing out the tars and stains. Cool!

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Yeah the salt treatment went very well.
After the salt treatment and the stem cleaning, I have come to the conclusion that the Adventurer actually was smoked very little or taken very well care of, because it has required the least amount of labor and pipe cleaners.
The LHS and the Captain...not so much :lol: Lots and Lots and Lots of cleaning. To the point that I have decided it's cleaned "good nuff" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.