PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
This is my latest estate find from a junk shop in a small rural town.
A small Billiard with a silver collar made by H. Perkins & Sons
The stamping reads:
HERBERT'S

Honey Cured

LONDON MADE
and on the opposite side

MADE IN ENGLAND
6 inches long and 20.7 grams.
Its a tidy piece of briar without any fills and a nice lightweight pipe that can be used again.
A few pics showing it as found
J7aW0gH.jpg

o7ybuD4.jpg

yGdRxCs.jpg

And after cleaning and hand polishing
qTyAT4f.jpg

1W1kwpc.jpg

K3e9tkf.jpg

HwYqtXE.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lovely little British billiard, and the ad posted is so great, "every class of trade," so helplessly British. That's a beautiful pipe so deserving of your attention and care.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The Herbert’s “Honey Cured” was introduced by H Perkins in the 1930s, no later than 1935. It was a response to (or blatant copy of), I would guess, innovations in the American market, notably KB&B’s Yello-Bole and Continental Briar’s Honey Dew. The Herbert’s “Honey Cured” appears to have disappeared around 1958. The pipe was priced by Perkins toward the lower end of their range; above the Colonel Eazy, and below most of the other models.
Yours is a beautiful example with great lines. A real rarity. Enjoy it!

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for the comments and the extra information about the pipe. Good estate pipes are not so easily found around here so it's good to find out more about the pipes that I do find. This one cost $25 (NZ) and was the only pipe in the second-hand store where I found it.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Well my choices are a little limited, either Petersons Old dublin or a custom blend made from whole leaf.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’d go with the old Dublin. Such a well rounded smoke. This old vet deserves a quality first smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.