Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It's been pretty well hidden that PipesMagazine.com gets targeted by spammers on a daily basis. We catch 98% of them before their posts go public.
The usual form of spam is in posting in the forums and commenting on the articles. They usually try to post something that sounds like they are making a real comment, and then link to something. The links normally go to sites that are trying to sell stuff like e-cigs, or something completely irrelevant to the pipe smoker community. Sometimes they go to malicious sites that will install Trojans or viruses to try to steal your personal information to spam you, or make phishing attempts.
This is just part of life online. Don't worry. The 2% that doesn't get caught by the automated filtering system is usually caught by myself or one of the mods. We immediately delete the post, the user account, and ban the ip address.
Now, for the new disturbing trend that popped up in the last 24-hours ... (these have all been caught before publishing) ...
Comments are being made on articles where they attempt to disguise them as some type of relevant discussion. The discussions have all involved Peterson Pipes or a general discussion on tobacco. They are even operating in pairs, where one will post a question about a pipe filter, (asking if one type is better than the other), and a different person (from a different ip address) will answer the question and provide a link.
What's really bothersome (and intriguing) is that they are specifically targeting pipe smokers by narrowing the discussion to minutia that only we would be interested in talking about.
They are apparently using automated systems though as the fake discussions are on article topics that have nothing to do with what they are talking about in their spam comments.
For example, we might have an article about a tobacco, and they will talk about a pipe filter.
They are dumb and lazy, and therefore easy to catch, so it is not really a concern.
I just wanted to share as it is quite intriguing how the spammers are trying to be smarter, but their immense laziness and stupidity still hold them back.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Isn't Artificial Intelligence neat? Shame that it gets used for evil instead of good, but still, you've got to admire the advances in getting computers to communicate like humans. Today, Siri. Tomorrow, Jarvis.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks Kevin and the mods for staying on top of this. As I am responsible for two blogs (and my own) as well, I know it's a pain to catch them all.
So I appreciate the work in trying to keep us unexposed to them.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
The links normally go to sites that are trying to sell stuff like e-cigs, or something completely irrelevant to the pipe smoker community
HAHA did you see that news story about e-cigs lately? They blow up in peoples' faces. The battery explodes which causes the whole device to explode. Therefore, these spammers are obviously avoiding the hard questions about the hazards of e-cigs.
Bums.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Great discussion folks! I mentioned this to my girlfriend and she told me to check out some of the hottest links you will ever see on the intrernetz. This is all real stuff guys, nothing fake1! Check it out and be confident that you will be blown away:
Super Hot!!!
:wink:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If I don't just the person who is providing the link like brewshooter did up above for example (I trust what you post Brewshooter lol) I usually right click the link and check the properties so I know more or less where the link is going and if it's legit or not.
Everyone should do the same if you don't allready.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Kevin for the update. These people are pathetic with no lives. As Dice would say in the 80's, "They're a load that should have been swallowed". Sorry if this is too vulgar but I have no tolerance for idiot's like them.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
i got a msg on another forum not about pipes like the one your talking about. People be careful and dont click on any links unless its from someone whos been here some time and contrubeted

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Is there really such a great profit in shilling pipe filters? Or is it some sort of money grabbing scam where the products are never shipped?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To quote Warren Zevon and Hunter Thompson in their co-written song, "You're a Whole Different Person When You're Scared":
"Dangerous creeps are everywhere."

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
As a tech that has spent a significant portion of my life fixing computers that have been infected by spammers and virus writers, I cannot say what I feel about them or Kevin would ban me. Malware has evolved, it is no longer being written by little Jimmy up in his room, to display a pop-up of his butt on his birthday, but is being written by organized crime, who have the money to pay real techs.
They have figured out it is MUCH easier to trick the user than break through the antivirus software. They still exist because there are a lot of non-savvy folks that get tricked into sending them money. They are pure evil and need to cease existing.
Kudos and thank you to the White Hats that fight them.

Status
Not open for further replies.