PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I just had a new case made for one of my cutty pipes and whilst I was at it I had a clone of my pipe made.
IMG_6134_zpsacymavo5.png

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The pipe is sitting in its new case Tim and the new 'cutty' has a matching case! I emailed you a picture of it this afternoon. 8)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I should get both pipes in my hands this afternoon/tomorrow and I will post close up pictures of the clone verses the original. The guy who made the case makes meerschaum pipes and is well known on this and other forums and I think has advertised here in the past. He has indicated that he might be willing to do a limited run of 'cutty' pipes if there is enough interest as business has dropped off a bit recently because of this whole FDA situation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Me, too, on the clone without the flower.
Now, can someone 'splain me the origin and purpose of the large nipple? Was that due to the type of mold used back in the day?

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Sorry, meant to add in the post that I only one meer cutty. It's perfect & a lovely smoke, but I can't see it lasting forever. A new one would be a good idea. (Any excuse for another pipe)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since so many clay pipes had that nipple, which I am pretty sure was a function of the mold process in making clay pipes, I suspect strongly it was simply copied to produce the glorious meer cutty.
Simon??
5b0a8a08e4945fdb5409469be58ba504.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK guys here is the whole 'nipple' thing explained. On clay pipes it was known as a 'foot' and was used to hold the clay pipe by when smoking since the bowls got so hot. Towards the end of the late 17th century the pipes had a flat heal that allowed for them to be sat on a table or bench whilst cooling off. Whilst this was an eminently sensible idea like a lot of good ideas it never really took off. Strangely enough it is discussed at length in the archeology review section regarding the Cross London rail project. Most middle to late 19th century clay cutty pipes (i.e) the 6 1/2 inch and below pipes all had the 'nipple' and again this was to enable holding of hot clay pipes and was nothing to do with the pressing process. There is an excellent Youtube video that features Gordon Pollock of Pollocks of Manchester showing the press molding techniques used in volume clay pipe production and talking at length about production techniques. This brings us to the 'nipple' on meerschaum 'cutty' pipes. Originally the carvers were simply following the layout of the clay 'cutty' pipe but as the 19th century wore on the heal or 'nipple' got slightly thicker as seen on my pipe and on Simon's 'cutty' pipe. This was no accident since it acted as a 'heat exchanger' and enabled a noticeable amount of bowl cooling or certainly enough to make a difference when smoked. I talked about this at length on my blog and when this clever Victorian radiator is combined with the silver three pence at the base of the bowl it explains the dark coloration on a lot of my pipes. I hope that fully answered your question/s guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.