PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have a new Comoy purchased from P&C about two months ago and the fit and finish are excellent. My recent new pipe purchases have been from Stanwell and Chacom and the Comoy is right there with them. Will be buying more.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The most recent Comoy I have personally inspected was from 1996. The briar, fit, and finish were as good as what I find in my pre-Cadogan Comoy's Traditions pipes. Collectible value is not there (yet), but you are likely to get a good smoker.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I should also add that the 1996 pipe was a Christmas Edition. Unlike my pre-Cadogan 1977 Christmas Edition, the 1996 pipe had no fills.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have the shape #87 Pebblegrain. It's a Woodstock or Zulu shape depending on your interpretation and so far I like it. We carry the line in our shop and as I understand the original Comoy's shape chart was resurrected for this "Made in France" production. Vulcanite stem that's comforatable, light weight and classic in appearence. I'd call it a very good value comparable to what else is out there in that price point, maybe even better. With the Zulu you have to be on guard not to push it or it'll heat up on ya because of the bowl cant but I'm sure once I get a little cake in there it'll smooth out some. I've got maybe 10 bowls smoked in it to date. There's the Pebblegrain, The Classic and the Blue Riband finish available and if I have one negative thing to say about the line it's the logo "C" that is just a stupid sticker on the side of the stem. I'd rather have nothing over a sticker but I'm funny that way.
I think for anyone looking to add a good quality mid grade machine made pipe to their rotation they'd be hard pressed to make a better choice. I'll probably be adding a Blue Riband to my stable at some point.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"I'll probably be adding a Blue Riband to my stable at some point."
Me too. I have a smooth 87 new and a couple 87 estates. Want an 87 Blue Riband. Love Zulus.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's a shape I've never given much consideration to but the one I have kept growing on me as I'd gaze through our glass case. There has to more of us here that have the newer ones, they sell out quickly.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I should also add that the 1996 pipe was a Christmas Edition. Unlike my pre-Cadogan 1977 Christmas Edition, the 1996 pipe had no fills.
Wasn't the acquisition in 1970 instead?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a early NOS 90's Comoy. I paid $50 for it and it came with all the goodies in the picture. Its a great pipe and smokes wonderfully.

The newest ones looks great as well.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Wasn't the acquisition in 1970 instead?
According to the article on Pipedia, Comoy's pipes are considered pre-Cadogan until at least the 1980. From the article:

The collector of Comoy pipes is really only interested in those pipes made before Comoy was finally taken over by Cadogan in the early 1980’s and I have therefore concentrated on that period.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hate to be the eternal low-rent pipe smoker, but I do want to put in a good word for Chapuis-Comoy, the down-market part of the Comoy line. These are at tobaccopipes.com. I don't see them elsewhere. The shapes are limited, and in the past they haven't always had everything in stock, signaled by the lack of an "Add to Cart" option. But the one pipe I bought, a zulu shape, is a great pipe, larger than many zulu, well drilled, nice clear airway, no filter, acceptable grain on a smooth finish, all-in-all a great value in a good pipe. So if this is an example of Comoy, even in their economy pipe, I think their better line must be pretty good. I've read a few of the slams about the awful-horrible-very-bad current Comoy pipes, and they may have had a bad stretch, but what I'm seeing at online retail recently looks impressive.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
As an owner of several 60's era Comoy pipes with NO fill and a hand cut stem that is absolute perfection between the lips, I have been appalled by what I've seen in the current Comoy line. Large fills in the front of the bowl, plastic stems that feel like they belong on a MM Legend cob. They were an embarrassment to the name Comoy. I only saw six shapes but I left feeling depressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.