PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
After recently discovering my love for the inexpensive goodness that is the corncob pipe, I decided to order two from smokingpipes. They just arrived today!
28hj2pk.jpg

One is an Old Dominion Laughing King, and the other is MM Mark Twain. I've just smoked my first bowl in the Old Dominion, and it was a fantastic smoke. What are your thoughts on Old Dominions?
I have not yet smoked the MM but I also own a Country Gentleman, which I smoke almost everyday so I'm sure I won't regret the Twain.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I sure like the looks of that Mark Twain. I have one cob and I have made it into a Churchwarden. Maybe I'm ready to try some more cobs.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have an Old Dominion Cob and it is a wonderful smoker! In fact, bought another one to set back as a back up...

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I too was wondering about OD vs. MM cobs a while back. I got some good responses that could help you: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/old-dominion-cobs-vs-missouri-meerschaum

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Nice Twain cob! I can't give any personal experience about OD pipes, I've been meaning to actually pick one up, but in general it seems that more people purchase MM when it comes to cobs. This doesn't mean OD is bad, but just that the majority of the conversation about cobs seems to be revolved around MM.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Hasn't Old Dominion had trouble getting big cobs like the ones MM has bred for the purpose?
I have added a reed stem to a MM pipe to make a church warden. I don't clench much.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Can't comment on the OD, but I love my Mark Twain. Doesn't beat out my Country Gentleman, but it is close.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been debating an OD. Right now my favorite cobs are my unfinshed straight MM General, and MM reverse calabash.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I love my MMs. The Country Gentleman is probably my favorite but the Mark Twain is a close second. Great pipe.
I also enjoy the Diplomat Apple. It is my Ennerdale pipe. Awesome!
I've never tried Old Dominion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM and I go way back, Forever stems, also recent variations like the freehand with acrylic stem. I bought two Old Dominions two years ago and I really like the reed stems and the authenticity of them. They are smaller cobs but work just fine with flake/plug/rope for longer smokes, or with loose tobacco for shorter smokes. Don't miss them.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I've now smoked both, and can say that the MM is of good quality but as I previously owned one, I wasn't surprised. The Old Dominion was, for me an enticing smoke, and I didn't find the reed stem hard/weird to clench. Upon further research on Old Dominion, I've read that they claim their pipes are historically accurate, and this was how the corncobs from the colonial era were produced. Is this accurate?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've got a couple Old Dominion cobs. I don't smoke them often but they are fun to smoke when I do. Love the reed stems. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Twain is on the list. Damn that looks awesome. I like the way Old Dominion looks. I've got A Huck Fin on the way for some Perique soaked in rum. Gonna infuse the rum via cotton ball with two tablespoons of perique. Using Appletons Jamaican Rum. Next run, I going to use Myers Dark Rum. Going big hairy balls and give it a try. Anyway Corn cobs are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.