PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I'd be surprised as hell if they'd touch the knockoffs/fakes/tributes
They won't even look at a knock off. Never have. That was one of the main issues that we had as an authorized dealer. If by chance a fake got by us and we sent it in, they would send it back and then we had to do the explaining to the person who brought it in. I wouldn't expect them to service a lighter that someone ripped off from them, (at least design and name). But then again, would a person that paid thirty bucks for a lighter really pay two hundred to have it looked at?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I suspect most of the big names don't think it's worthwhile to go after folks in China.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
doc, in the field I'm in, my clients are always "trying" to sue Chinese companies for making defective products, but it is very challenging. They change addresses, filings, etc. and hide behind all that is Chinese National protectionist attitudes.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have one but not the adapter to fill it. Can someone post or send a pic of the fill adapter so I can try and find the right one?

thanks

Oct 15, 2019
For $30 it might be worth a shot. Have you looked at IM Corona lighters. I think they start around $100 but its much better than $400-$800 for a Dunhill. Japan makes great lighters.
If I remember correctly, IM Corona used to, and perhaps still does, make the "guts" of a lighter for Dunhill and/or Dupont

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Yeppers...on a whim I punched the button on a cheap (7.95) "Tribute" Dupont clone from China. I was pleasantly surprised to find it actually looked good and worked good (after I got the flame adjusted). I can only assume that it replicates the sound of the real thing as when opened it has a God awful ping/clang/knell-of-doom that puts my Zippos to shame.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Mine has left great China somewhere around Nov.5th. It's fine, I'm patient: rarely it takes less than month to get something from there.

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Fools and their money are soon parted.
LOL, which one did you purchase that failed you? I have only owned one and it seemed functional and durable. I would still have it, but I was gifted a Visol for Christmas and passed mine on as a gift.

Reactions: BROBS

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
$600+ vs $30? Who the fool?

Anyhow, I have three of the knockoffs in rotation...they still work after, I guess, 6 months. The fill valve and regulator are seemingly less responsive...but they work. I just tightened the tiny screw on the gas regulator valve on one of them, it was loose.

On the other hand, my Kiribi valve is kaput...blows out gas. If I get around to send it back for service, this would be the third time back to the shop. Now that it's out of warranty, don't know if I'll bother, likely to cost more than $30.

Bics and those types are cheaper, but I'm a fool... but not $600 worth.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
And my Visol has grown legs. Should have kept the "tribute" lighter. Oh well breaking out the wooden matches (which people do not steal) until I get more lighter fluid.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
On the other hand, my Kiribi valve is kaput...blows out gas. If I get around to send it back for service, this would be the third time back to the shop. Now that it's out of warranty, don't know if I'll bother, likely to cost more than $30.
Same here I had a Peterson branded Kiribi with what they said was bad solder. Whatever the reason I was refunded under warranty. I have Sarome pipe lighters I got off eBay for 20-30$ that still work perfectly after the 3 years I’ve owned them.
this knockoff seems solid enough to me.. and if it fails or breaks, I’m only out $27 and don’t have to deal with shipping anything anywhere or waiting.

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.